Chapter 15

The two of them walked past her room and made their way into his, which would be a ten star hotel room if it existed. He laid on his tidy bed and she sat closer to the edge.

"We have to watch the classic since we're on the island," he said as he started to type something out.

Jaws.

The movie started to play and EJ got more comfortable. She had seen this movie more times than her own age. Leo placed the remote on his nightstand and leaned into his pillows. They were right next to each other with their arms grazing. Neither of them were paying attention to the movie. EJ kept her eyes on the TV screen while her mind raced, but Leo's were on her.

His heart was beating out of his chest. He could not help but look at every inch of her. Her eyes, her hair, her cheekbones, her legs. He felt like he got struck by an arrow. He was the scuba diver and she was a pearl in the ocean.

Don't let her go.

Before he could change his mind, he raised his arm and laid it behind her shoulders. His heat danced on her skin. Her face went red, but she shuddered and moved slightly forwards.

"I...want to apologize for what I said a couple days ago," EJ said to deter any thoughts on what just happened.

"What did you say?" he asked. "You've said quite a lot to me in the past couple of days."

She felt his fingers trail her shoulder. Tingles ran through her whole body. "I depicted who your mom was before even knowing her when you were trying to be friendly." He recalled it, but remained quiet to let her finish. "I imagined somebody completely different. She's actually pretty cool and we probably have a bit in common. So, I'm sorry for that."

"It's okay," Leo said, continuing to brush his fingers against her skin. "We all make assumptions all the time."

"I still think of you as daddy's money, so don't get it twisted."

Leo let out a laugh, then nodded in agreement. "Yeah, my mom is the only cool one in the family."

Their eyes met once the laughter settled down. His fingers were still dancing around on her skin and she enjoyed the feeling. Chills ran down her back as he moved his hand down to her shoulder. His body began to move forwards and he had a devious smile on his face.

"Don't start something you can't finish," she stated boldly.

"What?" he asked.

EJ shook her head. "Forget it. Let's just watch the movie." She regretted saying it, but her brain did not. It was as if she queued a defense mechanism within her. Her eyes stared at the TV screen.

"Elaborate." Leo pulled his arm away from where it was and onto the pillow behind them. EJ did not say anything and barely blinked. He kept his eyes on her and she could feel it. "EJ."

"I said forget it." EJ's face felt as red as a tomato.

Leo was not going to give up, but he changed the conversation. "I lied to you." She furrowed her eyebrows and her eyes met his. "My name isn't Leo. It's actually Leonidas, but everybody calls me Leo."

EJ was impressed. "Like the king of Sparta?" Leo nodded slightly. "I guess I lied, too. My name is Ellie-Jean."

Leo could not keep going on. "You know...you're the only girl that's turned me down."

EJ's chill dissipated. Her heart thumped. "There's a difference between having and not having bait on a hook."

Leo rang through that in his head, repeating it and dismembering that statement. "Are you saying I go for easy fish? Like you'd be caught without bait?"