XVII

Be warned, I suck at writing male POV. And exciting news, we're halfway through the book!

 And exciting news, we're halfway through the book!

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

KASIA PAYTON was easily my best friend.

When I thought of my childhood, she was there. I couldn't remember exactly how we became as close as we were, but we clicked and within days of us playing together, she became my ride or die person.

Kasia had a smile that could light up even the darkest room. And evidently, she was the light of my life.

She grew up with a lot of health issues. Her heart was weak, and she was often staying at home. By the time we were fourteen, her parents switched completely to homeschooling.

Kasia still tried to look as happy as she was before. I didn't even know the name of the condition she had, but with a lot of medication and monitoring, she was slowly getting better.

Which was why she transferred to my university, to be closer to me, who she called her home.

I always had the need to protect her. It didn't matter what the situation was, I always took her side and made sure she could rely on me.

Bros before hoes.

And she was my bro.

However, that saying didn't apply when she disrespected the woman I wanted to marry one day.

It made my stomach twist and turn with rage at the mention of Erin, especially since Kasia didn't have a single pretty word to say about her.

Kasia's hatred towards Erin was beyond words. And it was all because of me. When I confessed to Erin, years ago, Kasia witnessed it. Since that day, she tried to befriend Erin and then ruin her, despite my protests.

When that didn't work, she tried to make out Erin to be the bad guy.

Even my mother, who wasn't Erin's biggest fan, took her side, and not Kasia's.

It was a bittersweet feeling. Erin, who was the woman of my dreams, was finally in my life. And Kasia, who has been in my life for almost two decades, hates her.

Landon told me that Kasia had feelings for me. I never believed it. Men and women could be friends without having romantic feelings for each other. Landon and Erin were my go-to example.

So, why did my heart sink when he told me his suspicions?

Most likely because it was something I knew, deeply inside of me, yet I was never willing to admit it.

Her friendship and admiration was something I cherished greatly. Though, from my brother's point of view, she wasn't the great person who I thought she was.

I snapped out of the train of thoughts, as my mother brought the homemade chocolate muffins.

From across the table, I saw Erin's eyes light up at the sight. Her plump lips tugged into a warm smile, and her beautiful hair fell over her shoulders.