XXI

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

ARE YOU SURE you don't want me to call Landon?❞

Sophie's voice was filled with worry, and her eyes softened at the sight of the smallest smile I'd ever given her.

I hugged the jacket closer to my body as we left the car, the harsh wind blew in my face. The familiar house stood before me, and my heart swelled with joy. ❝No need, and even if you did call him now, it'd take him ages to reach here.❞

❝Good point.❞ Sophie noted, ❝Are you ready to do this?❞

We stood outside of my grandpa's house. It was just as if grandma was still with us. Even though I was yet to go inside, the smell of homemade food and cookies that they used to make for me hit my nose.

Sophie saw the small tear that escaped from the corner of my eye. She gave me a slight shoulder squeeze of reassurement, and then we walked towards the house.

I couldn't describe the wave of relief I felt when I saw that grandpa was looking good. Of course, the sorrow and agony were still there, but he managed to find a way to cope with it, and to finally give me an honest, truthful smile. It warmed up my heart.

I couldn't hug him enough. I just couldn't let go. He found it funny but I refused to remove him from my grip. He was the last, alive member of my family and the mere thought of losing him as well made my heart ache.

Uncle Miles was there as well, alongside Arlo Mitchell, who happened to be grandpa's lawyer.

He was in his mid to late thirties, with a salt and pepper beard, and a matching hair style. He was easily at least 6'1 and I could tell that he exercised on the daily. The man was smoking hot.

❝I'm Erin, nice to meet you.❞

❝Likewise.❞ We shook hands and damn, his hands felt nice, while uncle Miles and Sophie hurried off to prepare us some tea, as Arlo had arrived only a few minutes before the two of us.

We were  sitting across from each other, whilst grandpa was in his rocking chair, with a knitted blanket that Nana made for him years ago. He was slowly rocking the chair as he waited for the tea to be served.

Sophie brought the tray and was quick to leave. I tried to give her the look and beg her silently to stay but she was right when she told me that it was a family matter and we should discuss it amongst ourselves.

Arlo pulled out a few papers from his briefcase, ❝These are all the assets you own. You have an apartment, two houses, a summer home and a ranch, alongside a vacation house in Europe. Combined, they are worth millions.❞