XXII

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

IT WAS NOT the smartest decision to allow me to get behind the wheel. However, I was unable to tell Sophie or Landon where I was going. Something about the situation brought uneasiness in my chest, and they would've been worried, or came with me.

I didn't want either of those things.

I took Sophie's car and then understood that I had no fucking clue how to drive an automatic. I got my license years ago, and even then, I was studying manuals. It's been around two years since I got in the driver's seat.

By the time the clock hit two in the afternoon, I was in Detective Willson's office. This time, her hair was braided in two dutch braids, and she had a similar outfit style as the last time. Something about her posture and warm smile made me feel safe.

❝Are you okay, Erin?❞ She questioned.

I've been spacing out and couldn't keep my focus on her, no matter how hard I tried. She stalled once she saw the petrified expression on my face. I saw a file that was in front of her, and knew that it had faces of the person who broke in.

❝Yes, I'm fine.❞ I said, then swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat.

She seemed hesitant, but proceeded to open the file either way. She pulled out two pictures, glanced between them before she handed them to me. I tried to stop my hands from shaking, though it was impossible.

❝These two men were caught by the camera on your apartment floor and outside of the building.❞

There was nothing much to go on, as they wore all black and hats that prevented their faces from being seen. By the way they were placed, they knew where the cameras were.

❝I don't know if I know them, I can't really tell.❞ I told her with a slight chuckle that came out of nowhere.

She nodded her head, ❝Yes, but they weren't smart enough. A street camera caught them taking off their hoodies and hats two blocks down.❞

❝Do you have their names?❞

Detective Willson took the pictures away, only to replace them with two head shots of two men I have not seen in my life.

❝The first man is Kyle Rogers. Aside from going to the same university as you, years prior, there is no connection. He was arrested a few times for theft and break-ins, however, it was always ordered by someone. He will be quick to talk.❞

I cleared my throat, ❝And this one?❞ I pointed my finger towards a boy that seemed way too young to be doing this bullshit, even for money.

❝Stefan Rogers, Kyle's younger brother. He had no record so far, and it seems like he only came to help his brother. I could take you to the interrogation room, so you could watch and see for yourself, you might be able to figure out who ordered it.❞