Ch. 11

A/N
I know I said this would be done at the end of the year... But think of it as a late new years surprise? Lol, sorry, I'm no good at keeping promises and worse at keeping a schedule.
I can't help but think that my writing style's changed a little bit, or maybe the chaps are inconsistent. Please tell me if you think it is. And I'm really sorry for not posting for almost 2 months... Writer's block is the worst...
Anyway, enjoy! 💗
________________________________

Nigel put his dishes away in the sink to let them soak. He stomached the last of his tea before racing up the stairway, counting up the steps as he's done many times.
He walked into his room and shut the door behind him, locking it before making way to his worn wooden dresser.

He slid it open and took out the usual, replacing his pajamas quickly with his familiar red and gray.

He made his bed and turned the light off. He shut the door quietly and readjusted the sunglasses on his pale face.

He looked down the hallway for a moment before moving. He stared at the door nervously as he kept walking down the carpeted corridor.
He passed by the treehouse entrance entirely too slowly. He knew he'd have to go up there eventually, even if that eventuality was right after he brushed his teeth.

As he continued walking, part of him wanted to run, but he didn't. Almost like a test. Don't show weakness. He wanted to run, to hide, to never show his face to the world again. How could he? He'd failed his friends, failed him. In more ways than one. How could he? How could he be so incompetent? Were leaders allowed to be like that? He'd never seen it; so he just assumed not.

He kind of felt like he was out of air, so he took slow and shallow breaths.
He felt a deep pit grow in his stomach, he felt as though his heart would spring out of his chest any minute, but it wouldn't affect him. Couldn't.

That's why it was easy to twist the doorknob to the bathroom.

He didn't was to think about the fact that this wasn't his final destination.
When he heard the lock click, he felt less tense and let out a weary sigh as he leaned against the door. His former pounding heartbeat quieted to a dull thrum he was hardly aware of anymore. He was reduced to only a cold sweat as he pushed off from the door (after he had enough procrastinating) with a huff.

He pointedly avoided the mirror with his injuries in mind as he brushed his teeth. He could very well feel the bandages on his head anyway. He concluded his time in the bathroom with mouthwash and a brisk, melancholy glance at the hairbrush on the counter.

He stepped out, feeling a bit better about himself with a sense of refreshment.

He marched up to the treehouse entrance with as much confidence as he could muster. Before he got cold feet, he took a deep breath and went in.

He saw everyone there. Abby, Hoagie, Kuki, and Wally. They sat at the couch, talking and laughing. He almost didn't want to interrupt them, but he was inside now and he wasn't going to just watch them. He stepped forward and cleared his throat.
"Hey guys,"

The group's chattering died down as they turned their heads to Numbuh 1. The brit waved awkwardly with a small smile, and everyone jumped up and ran towards him with much larger smiles of their own.

"Numbuh 1!" They exclaimed as they hugged him from all sides.

"We're so glad you're okay!" Shouted Numbuh 2.