Ch. 12

A/N
😃
________________________________

The pair walked back out to find a familiar scene playing out; Numbuh 2 tinkering on one of his prototypes, Numbuh 3 fawning over her newest Rainbow Monkey, and Numbuh 4 smashing the buttons to his handheld video game.

Nigel and Abigail eased into their own activities, getting little glances as acknowledgement from the others that they were back.

The rest of the day was fruitfully uneventful to say the least, at least to Nigel it was. Sure, today was pretty much a typical no-mission day, but after the other day's series of events, sitting around and finding something to do was much less desirable than usual.

He had decided he would talk to Wallabee later.

He let out a longer-than-necessary-highly-exaggerated sigh as he flopped down on his bed.

---

Numbuh 1 blinked his drowsy eyes open when he heard three quiet knocks on his door. He groaned as he lifted his lifeless body from the soft blanket and rubbed his eyes. Apparently he'd drifted off for a nap without realizing it. He'd always hated when that happened.

Walking towards the door after quickly brushing the wrinkles out of his sweatshirt, he opened it and was greeted with Numbuh 4. He was wearing pyjamas. Wait. Pyjamas? Was it that late already? He looked at his wrist watch while the blonde spoke.

"Uh, hi, Numbuh 1. I know it's late and all, sorry if I woke you up, but..." Numbuh 4 cleared his throat. "I sorta had a nightmare... I can't really sleep."

It was almost one in the morning.

Numbuh 1 shuffled back and opened the door wider, gesturing for the boy to come in. Numbuh 4 sat down on the bed and sighed, Nigel doing the same after closing the door and turning on a lamp. Sitting side by side, the boys sat there for a while before Nigel began to speak.

"You wanna talk about it?"

Nigel thought it was probably a good thing to say in a moment like this, an unassuming question that Wallabee could choose and direct which way the conversation would go. Whether that be the actual nightmare, or... what happened a few days ago.

"Yeah, um, Numbuh 1..."

He trailed off and looked like he was thinking hard about something. But that's fine, Nigel is patient. He'll wait all night if that's what it takes.

"I'm really sorry," Said Numbuh 4 after a while.

And Numbuh 1... wasn't sure what to think about that. He was sorry? For what? He didn't do anything wrong.

Nigel was about to tell him that when Wally started to speak.

"About everything. It was my fault the others got captured. I was stupid to go on my own. I messed everything up..."

"And... I got you hurt,"

Just then his voice broke, Wallabee's head was hung low, his fists clasped in front of him and shaking. Quiet gasps came from the small body, and then he realized he was crying.

Nigel's heart was smashed to pieces watching him, sweet Wally tearing himself up with guilt and shoving the blame onto himself instead of Nigel, which was honestly what he was expecting. He'd never imagined this.

He needs to make this better.

"Wallabee, it is not your fault," Was what he immediately said, because it wasn't his fault, it was Numbuh 1's.

He ducks his head to meet Numbuh 4's gaze and wipes the tears that are falling.

"Please don't cry, It's really okay, you didn't do anything. Besides, the mission was a success. What happened in the past doesn't matter anymore."

Wally wiped his tears away and laughed.

"Not even the ice cream?"

At this Numbuh 1 stopped. The ice cream. The date. The almost-kiss...thing... So he remembers.

Nigel felt his being fill with shame. "Oh, you remember," He turned away.

Shameful. Disgusting. He won't like you anymore. Why would he still want to be your best friend when you used him like that? Just accept that you're a terrible person.

Numbuh 4 smiled. "Of course I remember, I was there."

Wally doesn't seem that disgusted... Maybe he should chance an apology.

"Look, Wallabee... I'm really really sorry. I didn't mean to... I mean... I don't know what came over me—"

"Numbuh 1! Just shut up, I hate apologies, especially when there's no need for one,"

Numbuh 4 looked up at him with a shy smile, and Numbuh 1 looked back.

This was real. This was the real Wallabee.
He looked into those green eyes and instantly knew. It was love and not disgust.

They kissed.

The End.