Chapter 3: Friend And Foe

As Wren stepped onto the train she could see the long corridor ahead that separated the carriage compartments. It was full of children of varying ages dipping in and out of doors trying to find their friends. Wren began to make her way along the hall, pressing herself against the walls to let others pass. She peered through the compartment windows as she went, trying to find an empty one, or at least one with first years but all the seats seemed to be taken in the first carriage. As she ventured on she heard a loud shriek from behind her followed by a maniacal laugh. Only when the unmistakable scent of a stink bomb reached her nose did she realise what had just happened. Not a second later, a small boy with tousled, mottled brown blond hair and freckles sprinted past her, still laughing, his head thrown back in mischievous joy. As he passed, Wren heard an enraged cry bellow after him. ‘I’m gonna make you pay for that, Ridcully!!’

Wren made a note to herself that under no circumstances was she to make friends with that boy. He was trouble! 

To escape the stink, Wren moved on to the next carriage which she found to be nearly just as packed. However to her delight this carriage seemed to contain a lot more first years, easily identifiable by the slightly lost looks in their eyes.

As she began searching for a seat she walked past a compartment with two older girls and a small dark haired boy. The little boy looked rather miserable in the company of the rather unapproachable looking girls that she assumed were his sisters. She was about to look away when the little boy met her gaze, locking her into his impossibly pale stare. The palest grey eyes she had ever seen seemed to pull her in further like whirlpools and as she stared longer she realised how deeply sorrowful they were. In fact, they were the saddest eyes Wren had ever seen. She felt compelled to enter the compartment and offer her friendship but as she took a step towards the door a wave of students pushed her along the hall, breaking their connection. 

Wren found herself deposited outside the door of a mostly empty compartment. It's only inhabitant was an auburn haired girl with lightly tanned skin. She had a vibrant red scarf tied around her head, golden hoops in her ears and wore a billowy white. off the shoulder blouse and ripped baggy jeans. As Wren opened the door, the girl turned her attention from the window to reveal the brightest of green eyes.

‘May I sit with you?’ Wren asked in a shy but friendly voice.

‘Of course,’ The girl replied with a beaming smile that revealed slightly snaggled front teeth, as she gestured to the seat opposite her by the window. ‘I’m Rosewaine Swift,’ She introduced herself.

‘Im Wren,’ Wren replied as she sat down, stopping herself before she revealed her second name. The Novelle name was widely known in association with her mothers fashion brand, for now she just wanted to be herself without all the implications of her family name.

‘Isn’t it amazing,’ Rosewaine sighed dreamily as she turned her gaze back to the window. Wren followed her eyes to the now dissipating crowds on the platform. ‘I can’t believe I had no idea about any of this my whole life, and running at that brick wall was quite the exercise of trust,’ she finished with a bubbly laugh.

‘Your a muggleborn?’ Wren asked curiously.

Rosewaine looked at her with confusion for a moment before nodding with a small smile. ‘Muggleborn.’ she repeated as if testing the word out in her mouth. ‘There seem to be a lot of new words to learn.’ She smiled but Wren could tell that there were alot of nerves playing just under the surface.

‘If you would like, I can explain things to you. I’ve lived in the wizarding community all my life.’ Wren offered kindly.

‘Would you?’ Rosewarne’s face lit up hopefully. ‘I feel like I know so little that I'm bound to make a right duffer of myself.’