Chapter 7: Morning Walk

That evening, all the ravenclaws sat in the common room talking amongst themselves and retelling stories of things that had happened in the day. That is, every one except Erris who sat off in a corner, his face hidden in a book and his Magpie perched on the back of his armchair.

Wren had noticed him as Rosewaine was recounting yet another move by move story of the flying lesson.

'I'm going to ask him to join us.' Wren blurted suddenly. Everyone looked at her confused then followed her glance to the boy in question.

'Why, he's weird. If he wants to be all sulky, let him.' Abacus replied.

'He's not weird. He's just shy.' Wren replied defensively.

'No, he's weird. We share a dorm with him, remember. He hasn't spoken a word to us and will barely even look in our direction.' interjected Jacob, a boy of east asian descent with black shaggy hair that covered his ears who was usually quite amiable.

'Again, shy. Sometimes people need an invitation to feel wanted.' Wren said, maintaining her notion, then got up and walked over to where Erris was sitting.

'Hello, I like your magpie, what's his name?' She greeted Erris, braver than she felt.

Erris looked up a little startled, then in a very stilton voice replied. 'Sullivan.' Then, as if using it as a shield he turned back to his book.

'He's a beautiful bird. We were wondering if you would like to join us.' She smiled warmly at him, trying to coax him out of his shell.

The boy met her gaze and in that moment it seemed like he was about to say yes, his face changing from a mask to something a little more open until he heard Abacus laugh obnoxiously loud and turned his gaze to the rowdy and excitable group of first years.

'No thank you..... But thankyou.' He said sincerely, holding her gaze to show how much he meant it.

'It's ok,' Wren smiled at him though she was a little disappointed. 'If you change your mind, you are always welcome any time. If you don't like big groups you can spend time with Rosewaine and I.'

Erris gave her a shy smile then turned back to his book and Wren left him be. It was going to take patience and time with him, she thought. He rather reminded her of a wounded animal and she realised her approach was going to have to be much the same to gain his trust. Don't corner him or force him into situations, just be a constant friendly face.

When everyone decided to go to bed they quickly fell asleep, exhausted by another long day filled with new experiences and an excessive amount of walking and climbing stairs. Their pillows had become irresistible as their eyelids had begun to drupe and the conversation had died.

The next morning Wren awoke much too early again but now she could no longer quell her adventurous little heart by staring at the landscape through a window, especially now that she felt more confident in navigating her surroundings. As the blue dawn light gradually warmed to a sepia yellow as the sun climbed its way into the sky, Wren donned a pair of dungarees and pulled on her worn, brown leather boots. As she tiptoed out of the dorm she slung her adventure bag over her shoulder and latched the door shut behind her, slowly and with precision to ensure no one awoke from the noise.

As she walked across the common room to the door it dawned on her that this might not actually be allowed. The rules stated that curfew began at ten PM however it never stated what time it was lifted. Wren stood infront of the door for a moment pondering this dilemma then decided that as long as it was light, roaming was probably alright. And with that she pulled open the common room door and began to make the long journey down to a side exit she had found when travelling to Herbology class the day before.