Chapter 14: Friendship Forged In Battle

Erris McGrath strolled along one of the open air corridors that flanked one of the castle courtyards, looking for his friends amongst the crowds of students enjoying their break in the autumn sun.

Over the last week, Erris had become more comfortable around Rosewaine and Rory though he still spoke very little and found Rory's loud, extraverted ways rather overwhelming at times. However, he appreciated how hard Rory always tried to strike up a conversation with him. He simply hadn't had the practice talking to children his age, or very many people at all for that matter. When he was wheeled out for high society gatherings and balls, his stiff, serious demeanour and short curt answers had been perfectly acceptable. He had even been praised for acting just like his father, a compliment he despised. In truth, his nature was not cold and brittle at all. He wanted to laugh and joke like the children around him, he simply did not know how to access that element of himself through the hard exterior he had had to develop over his childhood. Wren had been the first person he had felt at peace in the presence of, like the calm in the middle of a storm. He had never met anyone so full of wonder and joy who was free of judgement towards him. He could understand why she felt at home in nature because when he was by her side she felt the same as the forests and the streams. A girl who shared the same ancient patience as the trees.

As Erris rounded the corner and walked through an archway into the courtyard he heard someone holler 'McGrath!' in a rather baiting tone. Even before Erris turned, he knew the owner of the voice. Lucas Print. A first year slytherin boy who, with his friends Samuel Freeper and Kyle Venderson, hung around in the same group as Prudence and Felicity and hung on Prudence's every word.

It was evident that Prudence was very displeased that Erris had been sorted into Ravenclaw, however, the boys had only started to torment him once he had started to openly spend time with Wren and her friends. It had started as little comments whispered in corridors such as, 'your father must be so proud,' and 'centuries of tradition thrown down the toilet.' to out right shoving him as he made his way to classes. All the while Prudence would look on with disdain in her eyes.

The one time she had spoken to him she had simply stated in a honey sweet tone. 'It's not fun being on the outside, is it now Erris. Let me know when you have had enough of being a loser and you want to take your rightful place by my side.' Erris had not answered her.

Prudence was the one person his age that he had been allowed to interact with as a child however her entitled and domineering behaviour had quickly alienated them as friends even from the age of four. Most of their play dates in the years to come had consisted of Prudence trying to force Erris into playing games such as dress up and weddings whilst Erris simply stood there and ignored her the best he could and yet, Prudence had decided that they were lifelong friends.

When Erris had been sorted into Ravenclaw she had been upset however once she realised that Wren had stolen her friend she had become livid!

'Oh McGrath! Where are you going in such a hurry? I think you should spend some time with us.' Lucus sneered as he and his friends surrounded Erris. The first shove came from behind but Erris had been expecting it and had planted his feet sturdily on the ground. The next shove from the side however unbalanced him, making him stumble into Lucus who shoved him back into the circle.

'This too shall pass, this too shall pass,' Erris let the mantra that his tutor had taught him fill his mind and quell his rage. Reacting would only give the boys what they wanted, another opportunity to beat Erris down. He decided that he would not stoop to their level, he would not escalate or act as a victim so as the boys shoved Erris between them he levelled his breathing and mained his proud head with eyes looking forward.

Suddenly a sharp pain spread across his jaw as the taste of iron trickled into his mouth and he felt himself fall to the flag stone floor as colours and dots danced across his vision.