Chapter 21: Breaking News

Jimmy Timberly carried Wren up the ladder and into the snowy farm yard whilst the other men began to take stock of the animals down in the basement.

'I think the sanctuary will be pretty full after we take on all these poor souls,' Jimmy said in a contemplative tone to Erris who had not left Wren's side. Rosewaine and Rory had stayed with the other men to work on releasing the wampus cub from its cage.

As Jimmy approached the four abandoned broomsticks with Chirrup's box, Wren could hear the frantic chirps and twitters of the creature as he paced. The old man set Wren down gently in the snow then approached the box and began to undo the latches on the door.

'It's all right, little man. You're gonna want to come out and meet who we have just found.' Jimmy explained in a soothing but excited tone.

Wren watched from her snowy seat, trying to ignore the cold that was seeping through her cloak as the box door was opened and Chirrup wearily stepped out. As soon as he saw Wren and Erris he raced over and began to nuzzle them, butting his head against their bodies.

'Oh Chirrup, it's not us you're going to meet, though it's great to see you again,' Erris giggled as he tried to fend the large beast off, warding him away from his sick friend. Chirrup looked a little puzzled, then his rounded ears pricked up as his gaze turned in the direction of the barn. Wren struggled to raise herself to see but as she propped herself up on her elbows she witnessed the mother wampus cat and cub emerge from the barn and lock eyes on Chirrup. Within moments they were racing towards each other, twittering excitedly. Chirrup was so excited that he launched himself at his mother, knocking her to the ground and they ended up nuzzling and licking one another in the snow.

As Rosewaine and Rory emerged from the barn they couldn't help but laugh with joy as they watched the three large cats frolicking about in the snow, chasing and head butting each other all whilst emitting a torrent of chirps so loud and frequent that, had wren closed her eyes, she would have believed she was listening to the dawn chorus, which as the sun was attempting to peak over the horizon, would be starting up soon.

Rosewaine knelt down and propped Wren up with her own torso to watch the cat's frivolities then whispered to her quietly, 'He won't be alone now. He's found his family. You brought him everything he could ever need.'

Wren's heart swelled at her friend's words as she watched the cub play with his family and for the first time she felt at ease with the situation. She could let him go. As she looked to the lightning sky she sighed in a quiet voice, 'It's time we should go.'

As Erris helped Wren onto his back, Chirrup stopped playing for a moment and trotted over to the children. Wren let her hand find his soft fur and stroked his neck. 'Its ok Chirrup. Go, be with your family. I'm sure this isn't our last goodbye.' And with that, Chirrup twittered one last time, his yellow eyes full of thanks and then turned on the spot and scampered back to his family, his large fluffy tail flying behind him.

'Are you going to be alright getting back to school?' Baxter asked as he strode over.

'Between the three of us we can get Wren back just fine. Might not make it in time for class though,' Erris said a little ruefully.

'You'd better get going then.' Baxter grinned, then his face turned serious and sincere, 'Thank You all for what you did tonight. You have saved a lot of animals and stopped some really bad people.'

'Blame tha' on Wren, we were just followin' her.' Rory gave Wren a mischievous smirk. Too weak to muster a reply she simply stuck her tongue out at him playfully.

Baxter turned to her as he spoke, 'well, farewell for now. Look out for my letter in a few weeks, i will tell you how Chirrup and his family are settling in and i hope to see you in a few years at Crescent Lock. You'd make a great magi-zoologist.' he smiled kindly at her as her eyes lit up.