Chapter 17: A Merry Christmas

A few days later, Wren and Erris awoke on the couches that had now become their designated sleeping spots over the holidays. As the children's eyes began to flutter open as the new day's sun lit the room, their eyes fell to the christmas tree and more importantly, what might be under it.

Wren lept up excitedly as her vision focused on the various coloured wrapping paper . She scrambled over to the tree and began to look for presents with her name tag. Erris sauntered over after her with a slightly more subdued energy. He sat and watched her pulling out present after present from the pile without so much as looking to see if any were his. Noticing this, Wren stopped and looked at the boy quizzically.

'Aren't you going to look for yours?' Wren asked.

'No need. I can see mine from here. They are wrapped in black. My step mothers favourite festive colour.' he replied with a cold sarcasm.

Wren looked at the small number of black wrapped presents and piled them up in front of the boy then with a grin, said, 'let's add a little joy to that colour scheme, shall we.' and she placed four different shaped, brightly wrapped presents on top of the depressing pile. Erris' eyes instantly lit up.

'Who are they all from?' he asked in astonishment.

'Your friends, silly. Oh and one is from my parents. They took a liking to the sound of you in my letters.' Wren shrugged.

Erris smiled broadly as he looked down at his now christmassy looking pile, then to Wren's surprise, picked up one of the black presents. It was evident that Erris had seen the look of dismay on his friend's face as he explained, 'I'll open the black ones first and get the disappointment out of the way and then I will finish on a high with the good presents.'

Wren watched as he tore into his first package to reveal a single pair of very bland, black socks. 'Practical.' Wren noted with a less than enthusiastic tone.

'You can never have enough black socks.' Erris replied in the same less than thrilled tone. 'Thankyou Pamilla.'

Next he picked up a very similar looking package and opened it to reveal yet another pair of identical black socks. 'Well, I am now fully stocked in regards to black socks, thank you Vivian.' he sighed wearily.

'Is this how every christmas has been for you?' Wren asked incredulously.

'Yes, practical and entirely bland gifts to ensure that joy remains a foreigner in the McGrath household.' Erris chuckled with a little contempt.

'Oh lord, have a mince pie.' Wren offered him a plate stacked with the pastry pies as she rolled her eyes, 'I can practically see the Christmas spirit draining out of you.'

'Why don't you open one of your presents, lighten the mood a little.' Erris grinned as he bit into his mince pie.

'Very well.' Wren smiled then pulled out a large, rather squishy package wrapped in a rich green paper with a red ribbon. She tore into it carefully to save the paper, to reveal a rather lovely dark blue, long sleeved dress with a flower embroidered front and cuffs. An excellent day dress for weekends at Hogwarts.

'That's very pretty.' Erris smiled down at the gift that had evidently been chosen with love.

'Thankyou, mum made it. She always makes me the most wonderful clothes. I think I shall wear this today, at Christmas dinner.' she said, holding it up against herself.

Erris opened another present to reveal a book from his father. Wren was rather hopeful that this would be a good gift as Erris loved to read until he read out the title, 'A Gentleman's Guide To Managing The Finances Of His Estate' by Izzard Mullery. Thank you Father. When I am in my thirties and you are dead and buried, I shall dig this volume out and have a read but I think for now I will continue with more childish pursuits.'