22. | FALSE IDOL

Clay felt around for Dave as he came to, feeling only empty space beside him in bed. Even in a tired stupor, he pouted and slowly sat up, yawning. Today was the big day for Tommy and Tubbo and Dave really didn't want to miss it. Dave had been working hard all that week and the week before to ensure his schedule was completely cleared out. As this was the usual time for seasonal competitions to start popping up, there was more pressure each day for "Technoblade" to return from his hiatus, and there were many calls, emails, documents, and all sorts of things being passed between him and so many other people.

Clay hadn't woken up by himself in a long time; Dave must've been seriously busy to get up so early—it was seven in the morning still. The blonde, not bothering to change out of his sweatpants and one of Dave's gigantic T-shirts, lugged himself down the hall and into the pig's office.

"No, I—that's not at all what I said," Dave paused for a minute, listening to the person on the other end of the line speak, "I don't know when my hiatus is goin' to be over-" another pause, "Yes, but-"

Dave continued to chatter at the other person, glancing at his lover as he stumbled into the room. Clay slowly made his way towards the pig sitting in his big, leather office chair, pausing for a few seconds once he was in front of the pinkette. Dave tensed when Clay started to climb into his lap, straddling his waist with his legs through the holes the arm rests of the chair made. He wrapped his arms around Dave's chest and buried his face into the man's neck, staying quiet. Dave stumbled over his words, having to repeat what he said to whoever he was talking to.

Clay sat there as Dave continued his phone call, silently waiting for him to be done so he could get his good morning kiss. He boredly twisted strands of Dave's hair around his fingers, doing that for a few minutes before he decided to gently kiss along the pig's neck. Dave's last words before hanging up were, "Go fuck yourself."

"I take it that didn't go over very well," Clay tittered.

Dave groaned, "No, no it did not."

"You left me all alone," Clay pouted, "You could've woke me up when you got up."

"I was up pretty early, I wanted to get all this done. I thought I'd wrap it up in time before you were awake but I guess not," Dave said quietly.

"Good mornin', darlin'," Dave murmured, kissing the top of Clay's head.

"Good morning, piggy," Clay smiled, pecking his lips.

Dave made a low, whining sound as he looked at his phone over Clay's shoulder, scrolling through Twitter—it was becoming a bad habit of his.

"Don't listen to all that," Clay said softly, pushing Dave's hand down and pulling the reading glasses off of his nose, "They can gossip all they want, it changes nothing."

"I don't like the way people think I treat you... but it only makes sense with everything I've done," Dave admitted.

Dave," Clay murmured, grabbing the pig's cheeks, "I promise it's okay. They're the bad ones, not you."

Dave huffed through his nose and buried his face in Clay's neck, hugging him tight.

"I love you," Dave croaked.

"I love you more than you'll ever know," Clay cooed as he pet his hair, "Let's go get breakfast," he added shortly after.

"You only want two things, food, and my d—"

"I want more than that!" Clay interjected.

"Right, right, you want all of my attention too."

"Haha, you're so funny," Clay mocked him, pinching Dave's nose.