Chapter 19- Just Being Nice

Being kind.

I’ve always felt like being kind to people was just something that came naturally to me. Like it was just something that was engraved into my DNA. In all my life I have never purposely tried to be rude to anyone or ever really wanted to for that matter. Yeah I’ve had my moments, like anyone else, at times when I didn’t really like a person, but I never once ever let that stop me from being polite or respectful.  

So it came as a surprise when a stinging bolt of utter hatred and rage came crashing through me as what Gabby had so happily reminded everyone sank into my mind. Gabby was going to be strutting her perfectly manicured self around Virginia Beach for who knew how much longer.  

The moment those words of her’s connected with my ears, dread made itself a new home inside me as everything that could happen and everything she would most likely try to pull around Jacob went flashing through my head. There were so many things that could happen in the long summer weeks to come if I wasn’t watchful of her. 

As that thought entered my mind, I gave a quick glance towards Lauren who was quietly standing beside Derek. We made eye contact immediately, and within two seconds I knew she had just thought the exact same thing as I just did.  

Our silent conversation was interrupted when I turned my attention back to Jacob as he went to respond to Gabby’s announcement, “Oh, right. You did mention you were staying in Virginia Beach for a while this summer. I guess it just slipped my mind,” he said to Gabby before looking towards his parents, “You guys never mentioned Gabby staying at the beach house to me when we spoke a few days ago.” 

Jacob’s mother didn’t hesitate to respond, “Oh, dear I’m sorry but it was a last minute arrangement. I hope you don’t mind, I mean you weren’t planning on moving into the family beach house this summer, were you? You’re still staying with Derek in his Villa, unless your plans have changed as well, it’s not like there’s not enough room-”

Jacob’s mother didn’t get to finish what she was saying as Jacob quickly cut her off, “No mother, I’m fine at Derek’s,” he said before bringing his watch clad wrist up into his view, “Alright, well we have other plans today, so we’re just gonna head out now too,” Jacob informed his parents before walking over to his father and giving him a man hug.

“See ya old man, I’ll talk to you in a few days,” Jacob said to him.  

His father gave a hefty laugh, “Alright son, you stay out of trouble down here and you,” Jacob’s father said as he pulled away from Jacob to stare my way, “You keep him in check for me okay dear? It was very nice meeting you, Mia” he finished and by this time Jacob’s father was in front of me and pulling me into a big hug. 

I smiled at Jacob’s fathers words, “I’ll try,” I laughed out with a small chuckle. I really liked Jacob’s father. 

Jacob’s father pulled away from me then, and turned to face Derek, “You keep out of trouble to young man,” he said pointing a playful finger towards him, “Yes sir,” said Derek with a smirk that told me he was lying through his teeth.  

I guess Jacob’s father thought the same as he gave another chuckle with a shake of his head before glancing at his wife, “I’ma go get the car, I’ll wait for you out front.”  

After that he gave a kind wave to Lauren and a quick hug to Gabby before clapping Jacob on the shoulder and walking back into the golf club.

“Well darling, it was good seeing you, your father and I won’t be back down until probably the end of summer, you know, to hold our annual charity gala. I’m sure your still attending?” she said as she leaned in to give Jacob a kiss on the cheek and a hug.