Chapter 15- Jacob's Surprise

After Gabby gave her goodbyes and gave her, entirely too long, hug to Jacob, we finally manage to escape his parents house and head to his car. I was more than relieved to finally be out of that house, I have never met someone quite like Jacob’s mother and dealing with her, including his ex who is like a younger version of his mother, was not the highlight of my night. I was so grateful when Jacob said we had to go because I didn’t know how much more fake smiles, and sly comments I could take from the both of them. 

Needless to say, I was on the verge of pouring gravy sauce all over Gabby’s dress, if she would have said one more annoying comment towards me. 

Jacob and I walked in silence as we made our way to his car, I glanced his way quickly and squinted my eyes at him in the dark. He looked to have something on his mind, but I had no idea what. Not wanting to be nosey, I stayed quiet as we continued to his car and got inside.  

Putting my seatbelt on, I waited for Jacob to start the car and go but he never did. Instead, he gave a big sigh and rested his head back against his head rest before slowly twisting his head slightly so he could stare at me, “Sorry Mia, about everything that happened tonight. I can’t believe my mom actually invited Gabby, I didn’t even know they still talked to each other,” Jacob said trying to explain the night and the actions of his mother to me which I quickly shook my head.

“You don’t need to keep apologizing Jacob, you warned me about your mom in advance and I chose to come anyway. And besides it’s not like you had any control over what your mom did, you didn’t know Gabby was going to be there, so stop with the apologizing I’m not mad at you,” I said to him with a light smile and it was true I wasn’t mad at him, if anything I’m the opposite of mad. I was happy with how Jacob handle his mother and Gabby and I was even more happy that he stood up for me in front of his family.

Jacob sat up then and gave me a light grin before reaching over and taking my hand in his. He gazed down at our intertwined fingers and gently brushed his thumb over the top of my hand for a moment before staring back up into my eyes, “Well in that case, if your still up for it... I would like to finish the night off with that surprise I was telling you about earlier,” he said making me glow with excitement. I had let his surprise slip my mind with the drama of dinner and all. 

I gave Jacob a huge smile and a nod, “Okay,” is all I said to him, making his grin broaden even more. Jacob turned back in his seat, keeping hold of my hand and started the car. I sat back in my seat as well and failing to control the excitement I felt  inside as I tried to think what his surprise would be.

When the car roared to life Jacob drove out of his parents driveway and turned on the road. We sat in comfortable silence, hands still interlocked. The only sounds that were heard was the soft blowing sound of his air conditioning coming from the vents of the car. The moment had me giving another glance towards Jacob, who still held that breathtaking smile on his lips. Everything felt perfect, everything felt wonderful.  

I must have been staring at Jacob longer than I realized because suddenly Jacob gave me a quick glance before turning his eyes back towards the road ahead, “What?” he asked with a low chuckle. 

I looked away, cheeks blushing fiercely, before looking back towards him again, “I’m just...” I started to say, but stopped quickly as I became nervous; slightly afraid to speak my thoughts out loud to him, “I’m just happy...you make me happy. You make me feel like an entirely different person, like I’m good enough to be with someone like you,” I said looking away again as my cheeks flared up all over again. 

I nibbled on my bottom lip waiting for him to respond to what I had just said silently hoping I didn’t say to much. To my delight Jacob gave my hand a gentle squeeze before pulling to a stop. I turned my attention towards him in surprise before looking out through the windshield to find us sitting in front of his and Derek’s place.