Chapter 10 Oliver

Chapter Ten Oliver

Oliver had a terrible headache. His throat felt like there was going to be a bruise if there wasn't one already.

Oliver realized after a few moments that he smelled something warm, warm not over cooked food. He opened one eye, but was blinded by the light. A groan slipped past his lips.

"We have food for you if you want it." A familiar voice told him, but for some reason it filled him with dread.

Oliver slowly sat up, his dark hair hung loosely in front of him. It blocked the bright light, but it made it so Oliver couldn't see, so he tucked the loose strands behind his ear, which was newly uncovered.

"Where's my skull?" He asked, still adjusting to the bright light. One thing was for sure he wasn't outside anymore. "Where is Hazel?" His hands went to his neck, the tiny skull there still remained, he checked the thread around his neck. It was still hanging there.

"I don't know where she is but she said to put them with the others, so I am guessing they have her friends too." The blond informed him.

Oliver's eyebrows creased, as he tried to remember his name. "Nathen," he forced out. The name felt weird on his tongue.

"What?"

"That is your name right?" He asked.

"Yup, I'm supposed to be your personal servant" The boy called Nathen informed him, with a sarcastic tone.

Oliver wrinkled his nose, and that caused Nathen to double over in laughter.

"That face! Hahaha!" Nathens laugh was interrupted by a snort, Nathen wiped away the tears that fell from his eyes. "I know why you wear a skull now!" Nathen choked out through his laughter. "So you enemies won't burst out laughing!"

"That is not what is for," Oliver said, "It's to scare the people that want my life. Like for example MOST elves."

"What do you mean most elves?" Nathen asked, "You talking about the girl?" Nathen asked, raising his eyebrows, or maybe only one, it's hard to tell because his wavy bangs are covering one eye.

"She has a name," Oliver told him, "and she is clueless on what they're doing." Oliver pointed out.

"How do you know," Nathen pointed out.

"Does she look like she could hurt a fly? Or even point a weapon the right way?" Oliver said angrily, as his hair fell into his face once more.

"Nah, she'd probably cut her own head off," Nathen snorted, "Or the hand holding it."

Oliver stared at him, "Who's side are you on?" he hissed.

"Anyone who will get me out of this dump." Nathen said with disgust.

"It looks pretty nice here," Oliver teased.

"You don't live here!" Nathen pointed out, "You can't climb any trees, the hallways are all spotless white, the books are all history unless you go in the forbidden section! Which one do I do?" Nathen continued, "The food's all piles of mush, you have to ace the test or you'll get tortured, and you have to be perfect like the spotless walls that trap you. Want me to keep going?" Nathen asked with a sweet tone that made him sound like he was going mad.

"No, get me out of here." Oliver put it simply.

"Now you get how I feel. Come on," Nathen said, waving him to the cabinets.

Oliver hopped out of bed, stole a glance at the food that looked even less appealing than the overcooked fish he made. They're all different colors, he thought disturbed.

"Are you done staring at your food?" Nathen asked, digging through the cabinet.

"What are we doing?" Oliver asked.

"So some family traits don't carry, '' Nathen mumbled to himself. "I'm looking for that dragon skull of yours," Nathen added louder.

Oliver walked to the other wall of doors, and studied them blankley. "Could it be in here?" Oliver asked over his shoulder.

"Maybe it could be anywhere in here. OUCH!" Nathen exclaimed, putting his pointer in his mouth.

"What?" Oliver asked.

"I just wish she would warn NEEDLES." Nathen said as he carefully pulled the needles out of the small cabinet.

Oliver let out a snort, "You're nice company"

"Why thank you" Nathen said, "My sister thinks I'm irresponsible" Nathen paused as he closed the cabinet, "but I think it makes me funnier." Nathen said.

"Funnier isn't a word," Oliver said.

"Bah Humbug!" Nathen said, displeased, "You were out in the woods so long I bet you forgot how to read!" Nathen teased Oliver.

"Sorry for you, but you won't get any money from me. I'm bankrupt." He teased back.

"Aren't we all!" Nathen laughed. "Forget about paying things, it's all about 'how much you work is how much you earn.'" Nathen added with a little, barely recognizable amount of seriousness.

"Found it!" Nathed yelled triumphantly

Oliver fully expanded it to be a joke, but when he spun around there it was fully exposed in all its dead glory.

"There's a smile," Nathen teased.

"I wasn't smiling," he said as a smile spread across his face.

Nathen tapped the side of his glasses, "Your eyes give anything and everything away."

Oliver looked at that skull, "Let's add another reason to wear the skull," Oliver said attempting a joking tone,

"Never do that." Nathen said, looking horrified.

"Never do what?" Oliver asked.

"Joke." Nathen said, as he handed Oliver his skull, "Never do it."

Oliver let out a snort, "Well then lead the tour," Oliver said, as he placed the skull on his head.