chapter 7

After the incident the villa had fallen into an uneasy silence, one that was only filled with worry and quiet fury.

And as for the former commander...he was still unaware,in the same condition.

After staying for the night, the Duke had to go back because his work was piling up although he was reluctant to leave his son's side. His duties were waiting to be fulfilled,he couldn't waste any more time in his sorrow.

After taking a long look at his ill son and caressing his head for the last time the duke was gone along with his family.

So now there was only Eruhaben other than the physicians beside Cale.
He never once went away from his bedside, always keeping a sharp eye on his state.

The ancient dragon was trying really hard to keep his calm,he couldn't risk affecting Cale with his rage. He already looked just one touch away from death.

He gently wiped Cale's face with a wet cloth again even though he had already stopped sweating, which wasn't really a good thing.

Cale's breathing was still fast and shallow. It seemed like he was wheezing and having trouble getting air into his lungs more and more each passing second.

In that moment taking care of his ill child was the only important thing that mattered, nothing else.
But Eruhaben wouldn't let what happened go, he would make sure to let his anger out later on the people who had dared to harm his child. So for now it will remain buried in the depths of his mind safe, without decreasing to be unleashed later.

'If something happens to him I'll dest-'

"Cough!"

Broken out of his thoughts,Eruhaben quickly went to Cale's aid, wiping the dark blood away from his pale face that was making him look like a horrifying yet beautiful painting.

Cale was coughing up blood again but unlike before this time he was a lot more conscious.

"Hah haah Eruha- cough!"

Cale couldn't see anything clearly, everything was too blurry. He could only assume the person in front of him was Eruhaben from the vague figure he could see.

Eruhaben gently placed his palm on Cale's burning forehead. He then gently ran his fingers through his hair to calm him.

Looking at his sickly complexion made his heart ache. His instincts were telling him to protect his child no matter what.

"Hush, don't force yourself. I'm here, it's alright you can rest"

"I...cough!"

"Shhh... Rest child "

Eruhaben continued to run his fingers through his hair to soothe him while shushing him everytime he tried to speak.

The group of physicians were looking at the ancient dragon in amazement seeing him being so gentle towards the ill noble, they had seen how fierce he could be when facing hard situations.

After a while Cale was completely asleep again.

In the past day Cale had regained consciousness multiple times but there was only one time he tried to speak. And even then he wasn't conscious enough for his words to make sense. They wanted to hope that he was slowly but surely getting better but they couldn't because his breathing was getting worse.

_______________________

All of the people in Cale's party other than the children and Eruhaben were gathered in the underground dungeon of the Henituse duchy. The duke had given them permission to use it after learning that the incident with his son was actually a murder attempt.