Chapter 17 | Regret

She should have never left France.

For the first time in weeks, in forever, she regretted moving to America. 

She should've stayed put, stayed miserable, and listened to Signey. 

The rose fields were dying; their frail stems bending towards the earth. 

If River had listened to her mother, she would've seen the mistake she was making. Was werewolves a disease? Could it be spread? 

She didn't know. 

River was not born like this; she has always been a human.

The lights on the ceiling were too bright. 

The heavy music muffled by the walls and door eerily sliced through her eardrums. 

The loud cheers and incessant chatting bore into her frontal lobe, creating the worst headache she'd ever experienced.

A pair of warm arms wrapped around her frail body. 

River realized she was falling, her legs completely giving out. A soothing voice drifted above her head, but it only sounded like strange buzzing noises. The bass of the tone rumbled behind her.

Werewolf. 

River couldn't be a werewolf. 

She couldn't be one of those things. 

If she was a werewolf, what was the difference between her and the white wolf she saw in the forest that night?

"River."

The baritone voice that was droning on before was suddenly much clearer. 

The calling of her name broke her out of the pit she was lowering herself into. She abruptly realized that her body had been moved to the comfortable couch in the lounge.

Drifting her gaze up, her panicked winter irises met those brown ones. 

The affection inside of them was the same as always, making her feel like a queen on a throne. 

"Je ne peux pas être un loup-garou..." She whispered pitifully. 
[I can't be a werewolf...]

He pursed his lips.

"You smell stronger than every other human I've met... Even Cronus agreed."

No.

"Your eyes changed colour the night we returned to your cabin after the dinner."

It can't be.

"Blaine told me you took two shots of vodka. One pure. You're not even tipsy."

Please stop.

"You kicked a gamma's ass like he was a flimsy stick. He's a warrior; he's nearly as strong as me."