love

Written in 12th Grade

.....................................................

Passing

A man fell in love with a woman.

A woman fell in love with a man.

They got married.

Had a child.

Fell in love all over again.

Then she got sick.

Then they lost her.

"Why don't you find another woman?" The child asked. "Why can't I have another mommy?"

"Because I don't want another woman," the father said, simply. His baby was young when their mother had passed, so they didn't remember her. "Your mother was the love of my life. There is no one else for me."

The child's eyes softened with understanding, but still held questions. The father lifted their child on his lap and spoke again.

"But with love comes loss. It's just a part of the deal. Sometimes it comes earlier than it's meant to. It hurts, but in the end, it's all worth it. There is no greater gift than love." The father stared into his child's eyes. They looked like their mother's.

"After all, the love, your mother and I had gave us you."

.....................................................

STAGE

He hadn't fallen for her first – he had been struck, curious about this petite, doe-eyed girl.

She was distracted, fumbling, and so very nervous to perform. The stage looked too big for her, and the crowds of wave ready to drown her.

He like to pay attention to people, how they got to who they were. It helped him in performances, to weed out the competition. He saw her playing around onstage after hours, and thought, "she wouldn't make it."

But now – now, he lean forward from his place on the sidelines and watches her stumble on stage and proceed to blindside the audience.

"Huh, what do you know?" He said himself. A slow smile grew on his face.

"That wasn't too bad at all."

.....................................................

NAILS

He was painting her nails, squinting in concentration as he focused on getting the polish just right. The liquid came on perfectly and his girlfriend awed. His own nails were already painted and dry, done by his girlfriend.

"Why don't you just do these yourself?" The boyfriend asked. The girlfriend looked up with questioning brows, before she smiled and leaned in, pressing a kiss to his forehead. "I could never do it like you can," she said. "And the besides," she winked. "I like having you close."

.....................................................

DON'T LOOK TWICE

She was held up in the locker room, half hiding behind the rows as a group of girls walked by. Echoes of laughter and clouds of perfume followed them. She turned, self-conscious, and embarrassed, as they began changing.

"Mother always said not to look," she reminded herself, blushing fiercely.

.....................................................

FAMILY

Years have passed since that fateful day, where she lost the only family she's ever had. She's given the chance to rebuild a new one, and this time, she swears to hold onto them to her dying breath.

Every breath she takes is for them, every move she makes is for their best interest. Every thought is brought forward, so she can ponder, and she ruminates there every desire to see if it's safe for them.

It's all for them, them and their growing family.

Years bleed into decades, and things are all as it should be, until – her family rebels.

.....................................................

BACKWARDS

There is a process for this sort of thing you meet each other, spend time together, date, fall in love, and then – if you're really lucky – you pledge your self to one another for eternity and live happily ever after.

Two people did it out of order in the most impossible way possible, but it's still worked out in the end.

They love each other, and that's all that matters. Does it matter which way they did it in?

.....................................................