Prompts

Written in 12th Grade

..................................................................

RAILROAD TRACKS

Across the railroad tracks, there was this little boy. He was a lonely boy, but he played on the railroad tracks to get out of the house. He jumped and jumped between the gaps of the tracks, and marveled the way the trains moved as they blew by his little town.

He was a railroad boy, born on the wrong side of the tracks. He had a mean, daddy, so he would play on the iron horse when they stopped for a drink. The men would call them different names, like "Scram!" or "Get out!" But the little boy told the train tracks, "My real name is not that."

The trains were his best friends, and the track his favorite path. He was a little boy, born across the railroad tracks.

..................................................................

ADVENTURE

Since the beginning of time, you've loved adventure.

It's made who you are, a pump through your veins, and the minute you open your eyes, you think, "More."

You run where other kids, walk, search where others close their eyes, and explores in places others never dare. You're boundless, and you have this need thrumming in your veins and the thirst for knowledge.

You fan the flames of your first love; there is adventure around every corner of the Earth, and you feel the weight of your desire, delicious and a heavy as you're on your tongue as you search, boundless and free.

..................................................................

TIDE POOLS

She was like the tide, pushing in and pulling away whenever you would step close.

She came sudden, and taking you by surprise as you were swept up by her and her emotions. She was like a riptide, pulling you far, far away from the shore. You find it fortunate that you knew how to swim or else you would've drowned.

She was an ocean; playful, but if you let yourself relax against the current you would find that she had pulled you deep into the sea. She lulled you, the crashing of the waves sending you to sleep. She scared you, holding the ferocity of a hurricane when she was angry. Nurturing and free as she, but can drown you in her fury if one was not careful. She was as changing, and harsh, and untamable as the sea.

She wanted you all to herself, the tide tugging you saw that you were far away from the safety of the shore, and you swam, and swam, after her.

..................................................................

HUMAN, FAIRY, OR MONSTER?

He looks like a human when his silhouette was bathed in shadows. Sounded like one too; low voice, and husky tones. He sounded sad, melancholy, and the protagonist wondered why.

They told him to step into the light. They weren't an idiot — deep in the unknown territory, lost, and lonely, anything could happen.

The shadow stepped into the light, and the protagonist blinked.

Fairy, was the first thought. Slender cheeks, moonlit silver eyes, long fluttery lashes.

Demon, was the second thought. Wickedly amused grin, sharp teeth, bloodstained flesh.

Chained, was the third thought. Heavy metal shackles draping across his limbs, making sure he wasn't going anywhere.

The protagonist met his eyes.

..................................................................