Prologue: The Newborn Princess

Sometime in 110 AC. King's Landing, in the south of Westeros. 

Princess Rhaenyra's groans and cries had stirred most of the castle awake that night. Servants bustled around. It hadn't been a difficult pregnancy, but even so, she was in immense pain. It was the princess' first pregnancy since her marriage to Laenor Velaryon, the young heir to Driftmark, his father's throne. All the occupants of the castle hoped that this birth would be successful, and that whoever was born could take on their father's inheritance, if not their mother's when she passed on someday. Queen Alicent had given birth months prior to her youngest son, and final child, young Prince Aemond, and he had been birthed with beautiful platinum blonde hair. All hopes were for Rhaenyra's child to look the same. The baby would be both Velaryon and Targaryen, after all. 

But when the final groans and cries had ceased, and once the little one was born. Two things were of a surprise. The first was that the first child of Rhaenyra Targaryen and Laenor Velaryon was a girl. A small, beautiful baby girl. The most alarming thing about her was that she had no trace of platinum white hair on her head. Instead, she had a full head of dark hair, dark brown and a little curly. 

Still, Rhaenyra cradled the baby to her chest, and kissed her small forehead as the baby cooed. 

And her name was Eleana Velaryon. But she would soon come to be known as Eleana Strong.