Chapter 8: Return to King's Landing

Several months after the events at Driftmark... 

The carriage rolled into the courtyard of the castle at King's Landing. 

'All hail Rhaenyra of House Targaryen, Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne, and her royal consort, Prince Daemon Targaryen,' one of the members of the Kingsguard exclaimed as the carriage rolled to a stop. All was silent as Rhaenyra and Daemon stepped out. The door opened, and Lord Caswell stepped out, coming to greet Rhaenyra. 

'Welcome back, Princess,' he spoke, his voice holding an air of desperation. 

'Lord Caswell,' Rhaenyra replied. 

Daemon and Rhaenyra walked into the main corridor leading to the great hall. 

'I would say it's nice to be home, but I scarcely recognise it,' Rhaenyra mused aloud. 

In the great hall... 

'We have continued to enjoy improved customs duties since the settling of the Stepstones,' Lyman Beesbury, one of the older council members, said. 'And the extent to which we exploit those is contingent upon the harbour master's receipts. Of which the septons have requested half that again for a bronze bust they wish to commission for the Festival of the Mother, which I would not recommend.' Lord Beesbury continued to talk, but before he could get much out, Queen Alicent interrupted. 

'Thank you for that exhaustive accounting, Lord Beesbury. I remind you...' Then she was interrupted by the doors to the great hall opening, and Ser Harrold Westerling walked through. 

'Your guests have arrived, Your Grace,' Ser Harrold said. 

'I trust they've been welcomed as befits their station,' Otto Hightower, now the Hand of the King, spoke. 

'As you instructed, lord Hand.' He bowed, and walked out, the doors shutting behind him. 

'It was my understanding that Lord Corlys wished for his grandson Lucerys to succeed him as Lord of the Tides,' Grand Maester Orwyle spoke. 

'The boy has been raised most of his life away from Driftmark. He can fly a dragon, yes, but can he command a fleet?' Tyland Lannister replied. 

'Ability does not alter his claim,' Orwyle replied. 

'The Sea Snake has never formally named him as heir, if it comes to that. The crown must choose what is best for the realm,' one of the other members of the council said. 

'He is Laenor's son. What grounds could there be...' Lord Beesbury began to say, but the other council member who had spoken last interrupted him. 

'What indeed, Lord Beesbury. What indeed.' 

'We shall hear Princess' Rhaenyra's petition, along with those of the other claimants on the morrow,' Alicent said, standing from her seat. 'I do beg your pardon, my lords. I must greet our guests.' She pushed back her chair, and left the room, Otto standing and beginning to speak. Alicent walked out of the doors, another of the members of the Kingsguard following her. 

'Your Grace...  a matter has arisen that requires your attention.' 

'Whatever it is, Ser Arryk, it'll need to wait,' Alicent replied. 

'I'm Erryk, Your Grace.'

'Of course, my apologies, ser.' 

'It's about the Prince. There's been a delicate situation in his apartments. She turned to him, all the hurriedness melting away from her features.