Chapter 6: Flame Rekindled

That evening... 

Qarl Correy had brought Ser Laenor in, and he hobbled up the steps to bed. Several other members of the family had gone to bed, as had Lucerys and Jacaerys. From one of the windows in the castle of Driftmark, I saw a distinct boyish form framed by a head of blonde hair sneak down the steps. I knew immediately who it was. Vhagar was still here, especially after Laena's death. Finding a secret passage, I made my way out of the castle. 

Daemon and Rhaenyra walked quietly on the beach together following the funeral. 

'Laenor has been restless for years, but now, he will be useless,' Rhaenyra said softly. 'Or worse. I know better than anyone that our marriage is a farce. But I at least make the effort to maintain appearances.' 

'You have more to lose,' Daemon reminded her gently. 

'Yes, well, that has been my lot since my father named me heir. We did - try to conceive a child. We performed our duty as best we could. But to no avail. There was no joy in it. I found it elsewhere. It felt good to be desired.' Daemon hummed in assent. 

'I understand Ser Harwin was quite... devoted to you.'

'Yes, he was. And I trusted him. Should've forbidden Ser Harwin from returning to the riverlands. Harren's curse is said to be as strong now as it was after the Conquest.' 

'That's a ghost story, one Ser Otto and the Queen would gladly exploit,' Daemon retorted. 

'I do not believe Alicent capable of cold murder,' Rhaenyra snapped. 

'Each one of us is capable of depravity. And more than you would believe.' 

'I believe it of you.' 

'If you're accusing me of some depravity, you'll need to be more specific.' She turned to face him, making him stop in his tracks. 

'I've been alone. You abandoned me.' 

'I spared you. You were a child.' 

'Yes. Yes, I was a child. And look at what my life became without you. A droll tragedy.' She turned to keep walking, but he grabbed her arm, spinning her around to face him. 

'Oh, and I wonder what you think of mine by comparison?' 

'I know little of it. Did you love her?' 

'Well, that in itself is a great achievement.' She sighed, shaking her head. 'I'm sorry.' 

'Don't be. I am at least allowed to mourn my losses.' All was silent for a moment. She edged closer to him, placing her hand on his chest, then slowly moving her hand up to his face. 'Rhaenyra,' he said, his voice barely above a whisper. 

'I'm no longer a child,' she said, cradling his face in one hand. 'I want you.' Slowly, sweetly, she reached up ever so slightly to kiss him, and he bent down a small way to kiss her tenderly. 

Several hours later... 

The maester sat in front of the young prince Aemond, stitching up his face as Alicent and I sat with him, holding his hand. Baela and Rhaena were nearby, as was Lucerys and Jacaerys. 

'How could you allow such a thing to happen?' Viserys asked, sitting across from Aemond. 'I will have answers.' 

'The princes were supposed to be abed, my King,' Ser Harrold Westerling replied. 

'Who had the watch?' 

'Young prince was attacked by his own cousins, your Grace,' Criston Cole spoke. 

'You swore oaths to protect and defend my blood!' Viserys shouted. 

'I'm very sorry, Your Grace,' Harrold replied. 

'The Kingsguard has never had to defend princes from princes, Your Grace,' Criston spoke up. 

'That is no answer!' Viserys snapped. 

'It will heal, will it not, maester?' Alicent asked. 

'The flesh will heal - but the eye is lost, Your Grace,' the elderly maester replied. Alicent gasped, as did I. Alicent stood, storming over to Aegon, glaring venomously at the eldest boy. 

'Where were you?' she snarled. 

'Me?' She slapped him. 'Ow! What was that for?' 

'That was nothing compared to the abuse your brother suffered while you were drowning in your cups, you fool.' Just then the door opened, and several people rushed through all at once. First Princess Rhaenys and Lord Corlys, rushing through to comfort Baela and Rhaena. Then Rhaenyra followed, with Daemon strolling in behind her. 

'What is the meaning of this?' Corlys exclaimed. 

'Baela, Rhaena, what happened?' Rhaenys said, getting down on the girls' level and examining them for injuries. 

'Jace! Luke!' Rhaenyra exclaimed, also running to her boys. 'What happened? Show me. Show me.' She inspected the cuts from Aemond's fists. Standing up, she glared at the rest of them. 'Who did this?' What happened next was a cacophony of shouting from all of the children at once. In the midst of it, Viserys, the king, attempted to silence everyone, but to no avail. Then, he shouted, and the hall fell quiet. 

'Silence!' The boys bent down, Jacaerys whispering one sentence that made Rhaenyra's blood run hot with anger. 

'He called us bastards.' Rhaenyra stayed silent, turning as her aged father made his way down the steps towards Aemond. 

'Aemond, I will have the truth of what happened,' Viserys said. 'Now.'

'What else is there to hear?' Alicent asked. 'Your son has been maimed. Her son is responsible.' 

'It was a regrettable accident,' Rhaenyra said. 

'Accident?' Alicent asked, her voice turning hard and cold. 'The prince Lucerys brought a blade to the ambush. He meant to kill my son.' 

'It was my sons who were attacked and forced to defend themselves,' Rhaenyra said, finally speaking up for her boys. 'Vile insults were levied against them - and their sister, the Princess Eleana.' Viserys turned to her. 

'What insults?' Viserys asked. 

'The legitimacy of my sons' birth, and that of their sister, was put loudly to question,' Rhaenyra replied. 

'What?' Viserys asked, looking between the injured Aemond, and his daughter Rhaenyra. 

'He called us bastards,' Jacaerys said. Unbeknownst to the rest of them except Viserys, Aemond gave a small smirk. 

'My sons are in line to inherit the Iron Throne, Your Grace,' Rhaenyra spoke. 'As is their sister. This is the highest of treasons. Prince Aemond must be sharply questioned so that we might learn where he heard such slanders.' 

'Over an insult?' Alicent scoffed. 'My son has lost an eye.' 

'You tell me, boy,' Viserys said, stalking up to the boy. 'Where did you hear this lie?' 

'The insult was training yard bluster,' Alicent defended. 'The lot of boys. It was nothing.' 

'Aemond...' Viserys said, walking closer to Aemond. 'I asked you a question.' 

'Where is Ser Laenor, I wonder?' Alicent asked. 'Where is the boys' father?' 

'Yes. Where is Ser Laenor?' Viserys echoed. 

'I do not know, Your Grace. I - I could not find sleep,' Rhaenyra replied. 'I had gone out to walk.'

'Entertaining his young squires, I would venture,' Alicent interjected. Criston silently smirked, Ser Harrold staring at him. When he saw his commander staring at him, he stopped smiling. 

'Aemond, look at me,' Viserys said. 'Your king demands an answer. Who spoke these lies to you?' Aemond's gaze silently slid over to Alicent. If he said her name, there would be dire consequences. He let out a soft sigh and spoke. 

'It was Aegon.'