Chapter 10: Turn of Events

Aemond walked down the hall to his quarters and turned one of the corners to see me also walking down the hall. He sped up until he caught up with me. 

'May I walk you to your quarters, Princess?' he asked softly. I looked up to see him. He offered his arm. I took it, looping my arm around his. 

'Of course, my Prince.' 

We continued to walk until we reached my quarters. He stopped in his tracks, turning to me. 

'Eleana, I - I have something to confess.' 

'Aemond... whatever it is, I'm afraid it's not worth saying anymore.' 

'I've loved you for years, Eleana. Ever since we were children. You don't know Tyland Lannister. You don't know if he'll make you happy.' 

'Alliances are often built upon loveless marriages, Aemond. What we had as kids - it was juvenile. It was silly. You're nearly a man grown, Aemond. In many ways, you already are.' I reached up to touch his cheek softly. He leaned forward, and I realised his intention. Putting a hand on his chest, I gently pushed him back. 

'Why do you not want me?' he asked softly, and I could see a tear brimming in his lone eye. 

'I have a duty to fulfil, Aemond. I have to marry, for the good of the crown. For the good of our house. To allay the suspicion against my own mother - and my brothers. To tie House Targaryen to House Lannister. I'll get married, I'll have an heir - or two, and I will live out the rest of my lonely, sad life on Casterly Rock. I can't be here, Aemond. Not when you're here.' 

'So you do love me,' he said. 

'My mother and Prince Daemon are already married. They wed blood to blood, as Aegon the Conqueror did with his sisters. It would be too much of a scandal if we wed blood to blood. Do not forget that my Prince.'

'But you would be loved. I would seek to love you, for as long as I should live.' He reached for my hand, but I pulled it away. 

'I'm sorry, Aemond. Goodnight,' I said, and turned away from him, walking into my quarters, the door shutting behind me. 

Later that evening... 

Aemond awoke to the sounds of screams. His heart stopped for a moment. Those weren't Helaena's screams. These ones were more high-pitched, and he thought for a second who screamed like that. It certainly wasn't his mother. His heart sank to his stomach, and he grabbed his sword and ran out of the room. 

By the time he'd gotten to Eleana's quarters, several members of the Kingsguard were already there, and a few of them were hauling out the offender, who he recognised immediately. It was Tyland Lannister, and he could hear the voices of two women, whom he recognised as Rhaenyra and Alicent. He stepped inside, seeing two of the maesters and three of the servant girls surrounding Eleana on the bed, and he could instantly see the state of her. Part of her nightgown was torn, and she had her knees up to her chest, visibly shaking. Alicent came over to Aemond, and he leaned his sword up against the wall. She touched his arm. 

'Go to her,' she said softly. He stepped closer to her, and sat on the bed, the maesters and the servant girls making way for him. She launched into his arms, and he pulled her into his embrace. She began to sob thick, heavy tears onto his clean, white shirt and he found himself unconsciously stroking her hair to soothe her. He stood, holding her in his arms bridal style. The Kingsguard escorted him as he carried her to his chambers. The servant girls and the maesters surrounded her once more, caring for her as he ordered a bath drawn. Then they retreated, leaving the two of them alone together. She stood on shaky legs, and it took everything in him to not go down to the prison cells and beat the shit out of Tyland Lannister when he saw the state of her. She had her arms crossed over her chest to protect herself, and she was barely looking him in the eye. 

He stepped closer to her, and she shrunk away from him in fear. He touched her softly, and tears began to well up in her eyes again. Her knees buckled, and he caught her, calling for the servant girls to help her. They came, and disrobed her, helping her into the bath, and not wanting to see her nakedness, he retreated until they were finished aiding her. When she had been re-dressed in clean clothes, they helped her into the bedroom again, and gave her tea to calm her. 

He sat next to her on the bed, careful to not disturb her. She looked at him. 

'I'm sorry,' he said softly. She looked at him briefly. 

'It's not your fault,' she said, sniffling and wiping away the few dried tears that were present on her face. 'I felt so - powerless.' 

'I should have been there to protect you,' he replied softly. She looked at him, then reached for his hand tentatively. He took it. 

'That's not your responsibility, Aemond.' 

'You will always be my responsibility, Eleana. Always.' Just then a servant girl walked into the room, her hands clasped in front of her, and two members of the Kingsguard, including Ser Harrold Westerling, were just behind her. 

'Her Grace the Queen wishes to see you both,' she said. Ser Harrold came forward and offered his hand, to which she took it, and both Aemond and Ser Harrold helped her stand and walk out of the room, with the two other Kingsguard escorting them.