Chapter 16: Rhaenyra's Response

The body of the stillborn burned on the funeral pyre, as per the Targaryen tradition of cremation by dragon fire. Princess Rhaenyra stood solemnly, as did Daemon and the other members of her household, including the three young princes - Luke, Jace and Joffrey. Rhaenys and her granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena, also watched. Just then, a member of the Kingsguard walked up the mountain, and the members of Rhaenyra's Queensguard, walked up to intercept the intruder. 

'I mean no harm, brothers,' Ser Erryk spoke. He stopped, Daemon also turning from Rhaenyra's side to intercept the stranger. He removed his helmet, stepped up and knelt, removing something from the satchel he was carrying on his person. Rhaenyra also turned to see Ser Erryk. He held up the crown of Viserys, her father, elevating it to her eye level. 'I swear to ward the Queen,' he exclaimed, 'with all my strength, and give my blood for hers. I shall take no wife... hold no lands... father no children. I shall guard her secrets, obey her commands, ride at her side, and defend her name and honour.' Daemon took the crown from Erryk and walked towards Rhaenyra, setting the crown on her brow as the High Septon had gone with Aegon several days ago. Daemon knelt at her feet reverently. 

'My Queen,' he said softly. She looked at them all, and one by one, they all knelt, until Princess Rhaenys was left standing, and when Rhaenyra looked at her, she gave a subtle nod. 

Later... 

'What is our standing?' Rhaenyra asked as they were all gathered around the table.

'We have 30 knights, a hundred crossbowmen, and 300 men at arms,' Daemon replied, standing at the other end of the table. Dragonstone is relatively easy to defend, but as an instrument of conquest, our army leaves a lot to be desired. I have sent word to my loyal men in the City Watch. I'll have some support there, but I cannot speak to the numbers.' 

'We already have declarations from Celtigar and Staunton, Massey, Darklyn, Bar Emmon,' the head maester said from where he was standing at the table.' 

'My lady mother was an Arryn,' Rhaenyra replied. 'The Vale will not turn cloak against their own kin.'

'Riverrun has always been a close friend to your father, Your Grace,' the maester spoke. 'With Prince Daemon's acquiescence, I've already sent ravens to Lord Grover.' The room was quiet for a moment before Rhaenyra spoke again. 

'Lord Grover is fickle and easily swayed. He will need to be convinced of the strength of our position and that we will support him should it come to war.'

'I'm going to treat with him myself,' Daemon interjected. 

'And what of Storm's End and Winterfell? There has never lived a Stark who forgot an oath,' the maester spoke again. 'And with House Stark, the North will follow.' 

'Lord Borros Baratheon will need to be reminded of his father's promises,' Rhaenyra said. She sighed deeply and turned to Rhaenys. 'What news from Driftmark?' 

'Lord Corlys sails for Dragonstone,' Rhaenys replied. 

'To declare for his Queen,' Daemon interjected, and Rhaenyra shot him a look. 

'The Velaryon fleet is in my husband's yoke,' Rhaenys spoke. 'He decides where they sail.' 

'We shall pray for both you and your husband's support. Just as we prayed nightly for the Sea Snake's return to good health. There's no port on the Narrow Sea that would dare to make an enemy of the Velaryon fleet.' Rhaenyra turned back to the war table. 'And our enemies?' 

'We have no friends among the Lannisters,' Daemon replied. 'Tyland has served the Hand too long to turn against him, even after he was scorned for assaulting your daughter, Princess Elaena. And Otto Hightower needs the Lannister fleet.'