Chapter 9: Let Us Raise Our Cups

'This is an occasion for celebration, it seems,' Viserys spoke. 'My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young princes - and their betrothed. Hear, hear!' We raised our cups silently. 'And to my beloved granddaughter, Eleana, who is soon to be married to Tyland Lannister in a pact which will bind the Lannisters further to our house.' We also raised our cups to this. I heard Aegon vaguely lean over and whisper something to Jace, who ignored him. 'Let us toast as well, Prince Lucerys, the future Lord of the Tides.'

'Hear, hear,' Rhaenyra said, and we raised our cups once more. 

'You'll be great,' Rhaena said softly to Lucerys, who offered a grateful smile in return. I noticed Aemond slowly take a sip of his wine, glaring daggers around the table. Otto was not far behind with his judging stares. Aegon and Jace kept talking back and forth, but I don't think anyone heard them, for surely Alicent would have said something if she did. Viserys stood slowly with the help of his cane, breathing heavily as he finally got to his feet shakily, looking around the room. 

'It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table,' Viserys said. 'The faces most dear to me in all the world... yet grown so distant from each other... in years past.' He removed the part of his golden mask from his head, and what showed was a hollowed-out socket where his eye used to be, and the half of the face that used to be normal looked rather like a sunken skull. 'My own face... is no longer a handsome one... if indeed it ever was. But tonight... I wish you to see me as I am. Not just your king, but your father. Your brother. Your husband... and your grandsire. Who may not, it seems... walk for much longer among you.

'Let us no longer have ill feelings in our hearts,' he spoke, banging his fist on the table. 'The crown cannot stand strong if the house of the dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances. If not for the sake of the crown... then for the sake of this old man who loves, you all so dearly.' Viserys sighed heavily and slumped in his seat. Rhaenyra stood to her feet, raising her cup. 

'I wish to raise my cup to Her Grace, the Queen. I love my father. But I must admit no one has stood... more loyally by his side than his good wife. She has tended to him with - unfailing love, devotion and honour. And for that, she has my gratitude... and my apology.' Rhaenyra sat, and Alicent quietly sniffled. 

'Your graciousness moves me deeply, Princess,' she spoke. 'We are both mothers and we love our children. We have more in common than we sometimes allow.' Alicent stood, also raising her cup. 'I raise my cup to you and your house. You will make a fine queen.' She too, sat down, and everyone took a deep drink of their glasses. All was quiet for a moment, until a bang from the other side of the table soured the mood momentarily. Jace stood up from his seat, Baela saying his name softly. Aegon returned to his seat, and I noticed he was the one to incite the sudden anger from Jace. Aemond stood as well. Aegon sat, and I saw Aemond keenly watching his older nephew. Jace took his wine cup and raised it. 

'To Prince Aegon and Prince Aemond. We have not - seen each other in years, but I have fond memories of our shared youth. And as men, I hope we may yet be friends and allies. To you and your family's good health, dear uncles.' He touched Aegon's shoulder, lightly punching it. 

'To you as well,' Aegon replied ruefully. Aemond sat slowly, still staring across the table at his nephews. I heard Helaena mutter something under her breath, but I didn't think it was heard by anyone, perhaps except for Aegon. 

'Well done, my boys,' Viserys spoke, tapping his cane in approval. Helaena stood next. 

'I would like to toast to Baela, Rhaena and my dear niece Elaena. They'll be married soon. It isn't so bad. Mostly he just ignores you... except when he's drunk.' The room echoed with small chuckles. 

'Good,' Otto said to Helaena with a small smile. 

'Let us have some music,' Viserys called, and music immediately began to play. Jace got up from the table, and walked over to Helaena's seat, outstretching his hand. She took it, and they got up to dance. I noticed Aemond's gaze sliding over to Aegon and the two of them briefly shared a look. It was happy for the moment, until Viserys started groaning. Alicent called for the guards, and the music immediately stopped. He was carried out of the room, and servants carried a tray in, laying it right in front of Aemond. It was a pig. Aemond looked at it, and then over at Luke. His gaze was silent and menacing. Luke let out a small chuckle, and I glared at my younger brother. If Aemond was hurt by the gesture, he disguised it incredibly well. Aemond banged his fist on the table, and stood up immediately, raising his cup. 

'Final tribute,' he spoke. 'To the health of my nephews - Jace, Luke... and Joffrey. Each of them handsome, wise... strong.' 

'Aemond,' I said in a warning tone, but his gaze merely slid over to me, then back to my brothers. 

'Come - let us drain our cups to these three... Strong boys.' 

'I dare you to say that again,' Jace called out. 

'Why? It was only a compliment. Do you not think yourself strong?' Jace stormed over to him and punched him square across the face. Aemond barely flinched, and used his free hand to shove Jace, and he fell to the floor. Luke tried to go near Aegon, but Aegon shoved him into the table, holding him down. 

'Jace!' Rhaenyra exclaimed. 

'That is enough!' Alicent also exclaimed. Both the boys attempted to go after Aegon and Aemond, but the Kingsguard grabbed them and pulled them back. Alicent pulled Aemond aside sharply, as he still wore that dangerous smirk. 'Why would you say such a thing before all these people?' Alicent hissed. 

'I'm merely expressing how proud I am of my family, Mother,' Aemond replied with a smirk, turning to his nephews once more. 'Though it seems my nephews aren't quite as proud of theirs!' Jace tore himself away from the grip of the Kingsguard, and was about to launch himself towards Aemond, but Daemon stepped in front of him, turning to block Jace and Aemond from hurting each other. 

'All of you, go to your quarters, now,' Rhaenyra said. The boys left, as did I. Aemond simply stared, then turned and left the room.