Chapter 7: Goodwill Cannot Make Him Whole

'Me?' Aegon retorted. His father walked up to him.

'And you, boy? Where did you hear such calumnies?' Aegon stayed silent. 'Aegon! Tell me the truth of it!'

'We know, Father,' Aegon replied. 'Everyone knows. Just look at them.' Viserys stepped back.

'This interminable infighting must cease!' Viserys exclaimed, bringing the hall to silence once more. 'All of you! We are family! Now make your apologies and show goodwill to one another. Your father, your grandsire, your king demands it!' He turned to walk away, but Alicent spoke. 

'That is insufficient. Aemond has been damaged permanently, my King. Goodwill cannot make him whole.' Viserys turned to her. 

'I know, Alicent, but I cannot restore his eye.' 

'No, because it's been taken.' 

'What would you have me do?' 

'There is a debt to be paid. I shall have one of her son's eyes in return.' The small crowd in the hall began to murmur and stir, clearly unhappy with the gruesome prospect. 

'My dear wife,' Viserys said, stepping towards Alicent. 

'He is your son, Viserys. Your blood.'

'Do not - allow your temper to guide your judgement.' He turned to leave again, but she spoke once more. 

'If the King will not seek justice, the Queen will.' She turned to Criston. 'Ser Criston, bring me the eye of Lucerys Velaryon.' 

'Mother!' I heard one of the boys shout in panic. 

'Alicent,' Viserys called out, but she did not hear. 

'He can choose which eye to keep, a privilege he did not grant my son,' Alicent spoke sharply. 

'You will do no such thing,' Rhaenyra said. 

'Stay your hand,' Viserys snapped. 

'No, you are sworn to me!' Alicent cried out, and the hall fell silent for the third time that night. Ser Harrold's gaze slid over to Criston once again, and the younger knight shrank back, realising his error. 

'As your protector, Your Grace,' he replied. 

'Alicent, this matter... is finished. Do you understand?' Viserys asked her. He turned to the crowd in the room. 'And let it be known, anyone whose tongue dares to question the birth of Princess Rhaenyra's sons and daughter should have it removed.' He turned to walk away, and did so, but not before Alicent rushed him, removing the blade that Viserys always carried with him, and storming towards Rhaenyra's sons with a pure fire of revenge in her eyes. There was a large commotion in the room, and above it, Lucerys' scream of pure fear radiated. Daemon went to stop Criston, Viserys and Otto attempted desperately to make Alicent drop the blade, and several of the Kingsguard, as well as Lord Corlys, rushed to protect Rhaenyra and her sons. In the middle of the room, Alicent and Rhaenyra met, and Alicent held her blade steady as it was caught in Rhaenyra's strong grip. 

'You've gone too far,' Rhaenyra spoke. 

'I?' Alicent snarled through tears. 'What have I done but what was expected of me? Forever upholding the kingdom, the family, the law. While you flout all to do as you please.'

'Alicent, let her go!' Viserys shouted, but the plea fell on deaf ears. 

'Where is duty? Where is sacrifice?' Alicent spoke. 'It's trampled under your pretty foot, again.'

'Release the blade, Alicent,' Otto called out, but just like the last plea, Alicent neither turned her head to listen to her father, nor her husband, and she did not drop the blade.