Where to?

edited

After a night of tossing and turning, The sun had finally come up, meaning the park had opened, and I needed to leave before the owners came back.

I stretched my arms and felt a sharp sting in one of my ribs, shit. Around 2 days ago I had gotten another beating from my stepdad, despite me normally only having some cuts and normal bruises, this time he had managed to do some more damage, I had googled some pain symptoms and found out my ribs were pretty badly bruised if not broken.

I stirred around in my bag and grabbed some pain numbing cream out of it, I quickly rubbed some on my bruises, making me wince in pain. After that, I stood up and quickly made my way out of the food hut.

I had to find my dad. That couldn't be too hard, right.
What do you think yourself?
Shush.

I figured I'd start with finding out his name or age.
Given that my name is Nova Connor, I figured I'd start with looking for people with the same last name. Luckily one of my best friends Jaden was a good hacker and could probably trace them down, I grabbed my phone and called him.

(J= Jaden and I= nova)

I: "Heyy"

J: wassup?"

I: you know how to track people, do you"

J: ''of course I do, I can do anything.''

Cocky idiot.

I: yeah yeah, can look if there is anyone
with the last name Conner living in the country?"

J: sure, why though?"

I: I need to know for a school project about family trees and shit."

J: ok, I'll text you if I found anything."

I: alright thanks j'' I said hanging up the phone.

I didn't want to tell him what happened to my mom yet, he was 2 years older than me and was very much like the brother I never had, if I told him that I now didn't have anywhere to go he would take me in and I can't do that, he already has to take care of his mother, so he has enough crap to deal with already.

I met Jaden on my first day of high school, I was coming home from school one day and tried to overdose in the parking lot, luckily he found me and our friendship kind of went on from there.

And about the overdosing, I used to take painkillers after I had gotten a beating, but eventually the numbing became addictive and I started using the pills to calm down from life.

But I guess it kind of got to me, Jaden forced me into rehab after that. I've been clean for 2 years now. I never told him about my abuse at home though, but I think he knew.

I looked at my phone, 10 am.
I need to eat some food if I want to survive the day so settled on getting some breakfast at a nearby restaurant. While eating my breakfast, my mind started wandering.

I've always wondered what my biological dad would be like, when I was younger I often caught myself painting him as this amazing dad.

Like the ones you see in movies, the ones who learn their daughter how to ride a bike and stand up for them when they get bullied at school.

I felt myself tear up a little but quickly pushed the emotion away.

At the end of the day my dad still made the choice to leave me alone with my mom. Whether he knew about me getting abused or not, he was never there. He was never there when I got bullied in school. Never showed up on teacher conference day, which my mom didn't either though.