Chapter 15

As soon as we reached the mansion, his men rushed him inside a room. I was so worried as he had lost consciousness, but Nikolai brushed me off like it wasn't a big deal at all. Well, maybe it wasn't for him or them. I eyed the men as they went back to resume their own work, but it was a big deal for me, as I knew he got into this state because of me. "I won't let anything happen to you, I promise." The memory flashed through my mind. 

As he promised, I was here, safe and sound, but he wasn't. That's right, from the very first day, all he has done is protect me, and every time it was me who hurt him. My guilt ate me up as tears pooled in my eyes.  

"Oh my god, what the hell happened here?" Yulia came rushing downstairs. She rushed to my side and her eyes widened in horror, my clothes were soaked in blood. 

"they're not mine," I muttered.

"Even you, Nikolai." Her eyes shifted to the guy who just shrugged at her, "Just a scratch, kiddo," He showed her lifting the sleeve of his shirt.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, "this all happened because of me." My voice trembled as I sniffed back my tears. "I shouldn't have gone there." 

"You went out?" Yulia looked at me, shocked by my words.

"Hmm," Nikolai nodded, "I agree you played a part in this, but it wasn't because you were there," He corrected me. "That bast**d, he just wanted to get the things his wife asked for," he laughed, "But you should've told us, we wouldn't have to trouble ourselves if we knew you were going to fetch it yourself." He shrugged.

"But I thought he refused to-"

"He did but you girl I think you've been messing with his head for a while now," He smirked. 

What does that mean? I frowned. 

"And even Yulia didn't know huh? Then you could've easily made it back home without anyone knowing. See, I don't know what's the need to fuss, you're still naive but I do see potential, he was supposed to protect you but you did save his life today." He scoffed as he turned his back on me. 

What the hell is he talking about? Wasn't it the other way around? And 'supposed' why is he? This thing again, everything comes back to square one. 

"And don't worry too much about him," He stopped and looked at me over his shoulders, "this is really just nothing, you'll see him walking out of that room in a maximum of 2 hours. Anyway, give my regards to him when he does, I'm outta here." He waved his hands as he walked away. 

"Hey, Nikolai," I called out to him, "Can I ask you something?" 

***

Just as Nikolai mentioned, it didn't even take him an hour, to be honest. Even the doctor was so casual about it. So it wasn't really a big deal, I was thinking it was, or it's just the difference between their normal and mine.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked him as I followed him up the stairs. 

"I am," he heaved a sigh as he continued to climb the stairs without turning back. 

Yes sir, whatever you say, I shrugged. I've not seen many but did see a few of Nat's patients shot accidentally by their shotgun in their arm or leg but I've never seen anyone walking out like this man who almost died in there. I guess he really is a monster to be walking around after getting shot like that, that reminded me, he was walking around quite well after he took a shot from me too, and my heart clouded with guilt again. 

He abruptly stopped.

"What? Does it hurt?" I rushed to his side to check on him.

"For the thousandth time, NO!" He glared at me. 

I was startled. 

"And stop following me." He turned his face away.

"Excuse me, mister, number one, you don't have to yell like that, is nice in your dictionary? No? I guess manufacture defect, your problem not mine because I was taught to be nicer to the sick and number too, my room is upstairs too." I rolled my eyes and jogged past him, "Now, you're happy?" I stopped reaching the end of the stair and turned to look at him, "Good night." I spat the words before making my way to my room. 

Closing my door, I jumped on my bed in anger. I got all worried for nothing! That man doesn't deserve even a pinch of my worry, give me back all my tears and thoughts I wasted on you. I punched the pillow imagining his face. I then stopped, "He's sick, Am, not just physically but also in his head so be kinder to sick," I said to calm myself and unwrinkled my pillow cover. 

"Now let's go to sleep," I forced a smile and lay down on the bed. 

After multiple of my attempts to fall asleep, I kicked my feet in the air, "Argh! I can't possibly fall asleep after all that happened today." I got up and let out a frustrated sigh. 

Every time I closed my eyes, my mind started to play the recorded events of today, I hugged my pillow and my fingers played with the sheets making big and small circles continuously. I raised my eyes to look at the wall clock which struck 12 o'clock. 

I laid back on the bed and closed my eyes, the image of the man aiming the gun at us flashed into my mind again. "Argh! I'm not getting any sleep tonight!" I sat up on the bed, "And now that I'm wide awake, should I go check on him?" I glanced at my door.

"Nah! I bet he'll yell again, no thank you," I shook my head, "But..." I turned my head to the door again, "I'll just take a peak, I guess," I heaved a sigh as I slowly closed the door behind me. I went straight ahead and lightly knocked on his door, I waited for a minute but didn't get a response. See, now let's go, I turned back but my feet refused to move, What if something happened? My subconscious self gasped and now that thought made noise inside my head. "I just get yelled at but I could save a life, right?" I shrugged as I daringly turned the door knob and it was open, wow.

I peeked my head inside and looked around the room, it was completely dark, except for the dim light illuminated by the bedside lamp. I squinted my eyes to get a look at his sleeping face, I immediately dashed inside the room. He looked so pale and small beads of sweat covered his forehead and his face twisted in pain, "Mikhail," I called his name as I touched his forehead, it was burning.