Chapter 33

Their lunch was abruptly cut short due to an urgent business matter that demanded his attention. An urgent business that would manifest into another nightmare tonight, he thought, rubbing his temples. 

Part of him was still unsure of having Amethyst by his side in his dangerous world. However, before those thoughts could take root, he forcibly pushed them aside, shaking his head. He had already made his decision, so he banished any lingering doubts to the recesses of his mind.

Returning home, his steps seemed to lead him automatically to her room. Yet, as he was about to touch the doorknob, his gaze fell upon the bloodstains on his hand. He withdrew his hand with a sad smile. 'She must be asleep already,' he made an excuse to himself. Well, not entirely untrue, as it was already past 2 at night. He then stepped away from her bedroom and made his way towards his own.

After a shower, as he made his way to his bed, he stopped in his tracks. A small smile escaped his lips as he found his Am, yes his, he admitted as he silently walked towards sleeping Amethyst on his bed.

 He slipped in beside her, being careful not to disturb her. Gently, he slid his hand under her head, drawing her closer. She turned in her sleep, instinctively wrapping her arms around his waist and snuggling against him.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" he whispered as her eyes slowly opened.

I didn't mean to, but I fell asleep," she responded, scrunching her nose. "I wanted to wait for you, but I fell asleep." 

"When did you return?" she inquired.

 "About half an hour ago?" he answered, glancing at the wall clock at the end of the room. 

"How did your urgent business go?" she asked.

 He avoided answering her directly, opting instead to plant a tender kiss on her forehead. "You don't need to avoid this conversation," she asserted.

"I didn't want to pull you into this aspect of my life." He replied, furrowing his brow. He didn't realize that when she accepted her feelings for him, she had also accepted this aspect of his life. 

"I entered willingly, and I won't complain," she retorted.

 "You're impossible," he said, rolling his eyes.

"So?" She asked.

"The cop was caught, the one who tried to extract information from you," he informed her, playing with her hair. 

"Dominick?" she raised her eyebrows in recognition, remembering the officer's name.

"Whatever his name was," he shrugged.

 "And?" she prodded.

"That's enough talk about him," he shook his head. "I'm more interested in hearing about your day." He redirected the conversation toward her. 

"That's not fair," She protested but she was letting him have it. If he didn't want to talk about it, she didn't want to force him, especially about things that remained better unknown to her. Even though she had accepted the violent part of his life, she didn't purposely want to probe at it. But she also wanted him to share things with her, things he couldn't share with anyone. She was conflicted too, but she left them as it is for now. They could slowly come around, him telling things, she accepting them as it is. 

"So, how was your day?" his question brought her back from her thoughts. "Hmm, speaking of my day," she began, "Nat called, and apparently, Nikolai's super mad at you," she told him.

He snorted. "That's entirely his problem, but I'm sure he'll come around," he replied, aware of what she was implying. 

"Say, Nikolai and Natalie, there's something between them, isn't there?" she asked, peering into his face. 

"You should know better; she's your best friend," he replied, now playing with her fingers. 

"Okay, let me rephrase it. Did they have something in the past?" she inquired, looking directly into his eyes. 

He took a sharp breath, his expression turning serious. "Why not leave the past where it rests," he commented.

"Fine, I won't tell Nat but can't you at least tell me? I want to know what happened to Nat. I know she came here to meet Chis, and I remember Chris bringing him into the state she was in, I know how Chris had to rush back, and Nat lost her memories, but I want to know what exactly happened to her, I know Nikolai is somewhat involved but I want to know the rest." 

"It's better if you don't. I don't think you want to hear about it." He gave her a stern look. That look clearly told her she wasn't getting anything out of him. 

"Fine," She sighed in resignation, "but you can answer this question, is he... You know... good for Nat? I mean she is pursuing him, I might tell you that." 

"I won't say he's the best match for your friend. Basically, it's just the same as me being with you and him being with her, if you want to take that as an example," he replied. 

"O-kay," she rolled her eyes.

 "So, it wasn't him who did that to Nat," she breathed a sigh of relief.

"He was the cause, and he wasn't able to protect her," he told her. 

The more she thought about it, the more her head spun. Her face contorted in pain as memories of Nat's battered body flashed through her mind.

"I told you, you don't want to hear about it," he pulled her closer, planting a soft kiss on her head. "Just let them be. You can't do anything about it. It's their decision what they want to do about each other's feelings." 

"So, were they a couple?" she found her voice again.

He sighed in resignation.

"Yes," He nodded, "Happy?" He asked.

She turned her head up to look at him with a grin, "Can I ask something from you?" 

"Depends." He narrowed his eyes at her.

"If Nikolai wants to send Nat here, can you please refuse him?" She looked at him with eyes full of hope.

"What is your dear friend planning, wife?" He raised a brow at her. 

"Well, didn't you just tell me to let them be?" She pouted her lips, "I'm only asking you to do that." She added shrugging.

"Fine,"

"Thank you," she replied with a smile. 

"Now, go to sleep," he told her, pulling the duvet over them. She nestled against him, her head on his chest. 

"And here I thought we were finally having some conversation," she pouted, feeling dissatisfied. She had wanted to talk to him more, to get to know him better, but she realized that these things would come gradually. 

He smiled softly at her pout and gently stroked her hair as she settled in for the night. "Don't worry, we'll have plenty of time for conversation," he assured her. As her eyes grew heavy, they both embraced the comfort of the night, knowing that there were many more moments ahead for them to get to know each other better.