Chapter 7

Lavender was sulking in the family room when Wilma approached her.

"Lavender, darling? Why do you want to isolate Dudley so?" said Wilma.

"Because he's the closest I can get to my husband. It's not like you didn't want Newton back when your husband died" said Lavender.

"My dear, you are impaired. Not every woman loses her husband" said Wilma.

"You mean... your husband didn't die?"

"Oh no. And I love Newton, but it took me a while to realize how I made him feel. And that's what you need to find out. How you're making poor Dudley feel" said Wilma.

"I know what's best for my son. That's why I keep him near me" said Lavender.

"You keep him near you because you want your husband back. If anything, he has nothing to do with it. It's all you and your husband" said Wilma.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about your confusion and anxiety. You keep Dudley around because you don't care about him. You only care about your own happiness"

"I suppose I didn't think about that..."

"Maybe now's the time to start. Both of our sons are getting married and you still only care about getting your husband back. You can't marry your own son, you know" said Wilma.

Lavender laughed a little and said "I know".

"I'm told you cheered when he lost all of his money" 

"Because I thought he'd come back to live with me!"

"And that goes to show that seeing him fail makes you feel better about losing your husband" said Wilma.

Lavender looked down in shame.

"Lavender... what was your husband like?" said Wilma.

"He was a great man. Always laughing, always doing good deeds" said Lavender.

"And your son is like that too. I've met him" said Wilma.

"He hasn't been like that since I got here" said Lavender.

"Because he's worried about you taking him away from Penelope. If you drop the act, you'll see how far he's come" said Wilma.

"I suppose you're right, Wilma. I'll try" said Lavender.

"Do more than try. He's just about had it" said Wilma.