Chapter 8

When Newton and Dudley came back downstairs, Lavender approached her son.

"Dudley? I want to apologize for what I've done" she said.

"Mum..." Dudley began.

"Let me finish. You don't have to forgive me. But I realize now that not letting you leave me alone was only my way of making sure you were alone for the rest of your life" said Lavender.

"Mum, it's not even..." Dudley started.

"Let me finish! I really do want you to be happy, my son. So if you really do love your Penelope and want to marry her, then marry her you shall. There you are, I'm finished" said Lavender.

"Mum... those were the nicest words you've ever said to me" said Dudley.

"You've grown up into such a nice man. I should have seen that in you and praised it instead of being afraid of losing you" said Lavender.

"You could never lose me. I'm still too young" said Dudley. 

"Plus... Penelope loves you almost as much as I do. So you deserve to be happy" said Lavender.

"What is this? Am I talking to Lavender Leicester? You only care about your own happiness for the likes of my father" said Dudley.

"Yes, it's still me, darling. I'm a changed woman, Dudley" said Lavender.

"So my wedding is still on?" said Dudley.

"Yes. I order you to marry the girl you love" said Lavender jokingly. 

Dudley hugged his mother to thank her. 

"Congratulations, Lav! You're back on my dance partner list!" Wilma squealed.

"Oh, Mum..." Newton sighed.