T W O

Luke was completely and utterly heartbroken. Calum had successfully captured his heart with cute smiles and flirty jokes, then crushed it with one act of carelessness. Luke hadn't left his apartment in a week, in fear of bumping into Calum. However, Luke couldn't bring himself to sit and mope in his sadness any longer, so he dragged himself out of bed and into the shower, which he so desperately needed. After washing away dried up tears and the aftermath of heartbreak, Luke emerged from the shower feeling slightly more alive, and a lot less smelly. He traipsed around his room, finding whatever clothes that weren't dirty, and ended up wearing a plain black shirt and some grey joggers, along with some black nike shoes. He brushed his teeth and headed down the stairs, grabbing an apple on his way out. Luke sat down in his car and ran a hand through his flat hair with a sigh. He decided to go to the park, maybe he could catch the live music they had on Friday nights. As Luke drove, he turned on the radio, smiling softly when he heard the familiar beat of a Green Day song. Lyrics tumbled from Luke's lips, and his smile faded when he remembered that this was his and Calum's song, the one they slow danced to in the park. Luke sighed, turning off the music and pulling into a parking spot that was parallel to the playground.

Luke walked over to the playground, running his fingertips over the metal of the swing set. He glanced up after feeling a small water droplet on his nose, and realized it was beginning to rain. Before Luke could run back to his car, it was pouring down rain, so he took cover in the nearest tube slide, shielding himself from the storm. Soon, thoughts of Calum began to enter his mind, Luke remembered the day they had a picnic in this park and it started to rain. He remembered how they danced like fools in the water, letting themselves get soaked in the downpour and giggling like idiots; they were so in love. His thoughts were interrupted by the hollow thud of someone hitting the slide, like they were crawling in as well. Luke lifted his eyes to see a figure crawling towards him, drenched to the core and shivering. Once the figure stilled, Luke could see that it was a small boy, no older than sixteen, dressed in a thin, worn hoodie along with extremely ripped and frayed jeans and some weathered converse. The boy shook his head a bit, not disturbing the hood that sat upon the beanie on his hair. Luke made no noise, not wanting to startle the boy, but it didn't help. The boy looked up, seeing Luke and squeaking, nearly tumbling backwards out of the slide in an attempt to get away.

"Hey, it's alright, I won't hurt you." Luke spoke softly, attempting to soothe the other boy. His eyes focused on Luke, and they seemed to glow with an emerald sheen, almost cat-like in the darkness that the overcast weather provided. "Are you okay?" Luke whispers, noticing the boy's shaking body. A whimper echoed through the slide, and the small boy cowered in fear when thunder rumbled loudly. Rain water was pelting into the mouth of the slide, hitting the boy because he was distanced from Luke. "Come on, come in here, I won't bite." Luke said gently, scooting back further so the boy would get out of the rain.

He slowly got closer, watching Luke warily. "You don't talk much, huh?" Luke asked, watching closely as the small boy began to wipe the excess water off of his face. He shook his head, flinging water droplets on Luke. "W-hy is human in M-Mikey's h-home?" The boy mumbled, making Luke's eyes widen at how soft and sweet his voice was. "What do you mean your home, this is a public park." Luke was genuinely confused.

"M-Mikey lives here." The boy said, tucking his hands in his hoodie to warm them. "Stays here w-when sun goes to sleep." He nodded, as if confirming his own statement. It then dawned on Luke that the poor boy was homeless, and pity flooded his heart for the boy named Mikey. "Is going to m-make M-Mikey leave, yes?" He asked, beginning to scoot away from the shocked blonde. "No! No, stay please!" Luke exclaimed, apologizing when Mikey flinched at his sudden outburst. Lightning flashed outside the slide, followed by an alarmingly loud boom of thunder. The small boy whimpered and cowered towards Luke, who shushed him and gently reached out a hand, placing it on his back.