You're Safe Now

I was walking down the tracks, the night breeze making my hair fly behind me. Typical me, I had forgotten to bring a jacket. Sometimes I wondered what ran through my head when I jumped out my window every night. However, I was about to be thankful for my forgetfulness, even if it meant I had to get jumped.

I was passing by a few old buildings. Making sure to stay on the side of the tracks furthest from the darkened alleys when I heard it. A long, low whistle, ending in a sudden high note. I remembered that whistle from a week ago, only this time I was not as scared.

I glanced down the alley it came from, half expecting to see Curly engulfed in darkness again. But he wasn't there. I sighed, whether it was in relief or disappointment, I don't know. I turned back around, only for someone to clamp a hand over my mouth before I could scream.

For a moment, I couldn't catch my breath, whether that was because Tim had a hand over my mouth or some other reason, I couldn't tell you. He must have noticed because he quickly pulled his hand away. His thumb brushing over my lips for a second too long.

"What did I say about walking alone at night?" He asked quietly, putting his hands on my shoulders so I wouldn't leave.

"N-not too..." I whispered as he forced me to look into his smoldering eyes.

"That's right. So why are you?" He said sternly. I took a deep breath.

I doubted he would have believed me if I told him the truth, so I said, "I wanted to."

Tim sighed, moving his hands from my shoulders to my cheeks. He looked deep into my eyes, digging for the real reason. After a long, uncomfortable silence he said, "I know you're lying. Tell me the real reason."

I briefly wondered if my eye twitched then like Megan had said it did when I lied.

"I-"

"If it isn't the little soc again." The voice I remembered as Curly said before I could say anything. Tim jerked his hands away from me, his eyes growing darker as he brought himself to his fullest height.

I shrunk back, he looked a lot more intimidating now as he glared down at me with cold eyes. But I was also confused, why did he have to make himself look tough now?

"What are you doing in greaser territory, doll?" Curly asked as I turned around to face him.

Before I could speak, Angela was suddenly next to us, her lips pulled into a smirk. "I see Timothy brought your necklace back." She said. "How thoughtful of him."

My hand instinctively went up to my neck, holding onto my necklace like she might try to steal it again, which she probably would have.

"Lay off you two," Tim warned. Angela and Curly, who I was convinced were Tim's siblings, snickered but didn't say anything else. Then, four tough-looking boys came walking up beside us, each one with their own type of determined glare. They were all scary looking. Not Tim Shepard scary, but scary enough.

One was as tall as a building with wispy black hair, blue eyes, and multiple scars covering his face and arms, which were pure muscle. Another was stocky and short with big green eyes and greased-back blonde hair. He reminded me of a gorilla. The other two were almost identical, lean with greasy brown hair and brown eyes, they hung to the back of the group, slouching and watching.

I took a step back, slamming right into Tim's chest. I gulped, looking up. Tim towered over me, looking down, eyes as cold as ever. Terrifying. He uncrossed his arms, putting a surprisingly comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Gang, this is Connie." He sighed. "Connie, this is Gage, and Oliver-" Tim pointed to the boys in the back. "-yes, they're twins. Damien's the little one. That's Whales-" He nodded to the blue-eyed boy with all the scars.