Carnival

"C'mon, Connie," Breanna begged as she followed me around the kitchen as I cleaned up after lunch. "Ma said it was fine for me to go. And your mother's gone for the weekend. Company meeting down in Oklahoma City, right? Plus, James is with Linda, and Megan and Paul are probably having great sex on the beach right now."

"Bre, I don't need to hear that from you," I said, shaking my head as I dried my hands on a dish towel before grabbing a wet rag.

I had the house to myself for the weekend. Indeed, mom had a company meeting down in Oklahoma City and wouldn't be back till Sunday night. Megan on the other hand had been surprised by Paul with a vacation to the beaches of California. Like I said to Bre, I didn't need to hear what they might have been doing.

I'd get my answer soon enough anyway.

"And anyway, don't you have final exams to study for?" I asked. Bre sighed.

"Yes, but finals can wait. We haven't spent any time together in forever!" She exaggerated. "Not to mention, your birthday is in exactly one week, and guess what?"

"What?" I asked, just to amuse her as I started whipping off the counters.

"I haven't gotten you a gift!" She huffed, jumping onto one of the bar stools.

"Breanna, I've told you once, and I'll say it again, I don't want anything for my birthday. Not from you, not from anyone." I announced, tossing the dirty rag in the sink.

"Well, I was gonna consider this an early birthday present," Bre said. "And, it's rude to turn down a gift, y'know?"

"Breanna..." I sighed, placing a hand on my hip and my forehead.

"Connie, I'm not taking 'no' for an answer. I'll get down on my hands and knees if I have to." She said with a deadly serious look on her face.

"I'm sure you will." I chuckled.

Bre suddenly hopped off her stool, striding over to stand in front of me. "I will." She challenged.

"Alright." I gave in before my friend could do anything stupid. "Just know that carnivals are scams."

Bre rolled her eyes. "You say that. I won the ring toss last year."

"Because you called the vendor out for his tricks and he gave you a prize," I mumbled. Bre giggled, snatching my wrist and dragging me out of the house to the car.

- - -

Like every year, the line to get into the carnival was a mile long. We must have been waiting there for almost an hour before we finally gave the girl our money and ran into the rows of rainbow-colored tents and booths.

People were everywhere, playing games, messing around at food stands, and admiring different views. Bre had decided to test her luck again on the ring toss and ended up blowing half our money.

"I told you it was a scam," I grumbled as she lost for the ninth time in a row.

"One more try, I got this." She told me.

I groaned, handing her the last quarter I had.
"Good luck." I crossed my arms.

Bre rolled her eyes, lining herself up for a final throw. "I don't need luck. I got this." She said again like she was trying to convince herself. I sighed, just as I heard someone call out my name. I glanced over at the source, smiling at what I saw.

Whales, Damien, and the twins were making their way through the crowd in our direction.

"Hey, Connie." Whales said with a smile.