Chapter 2

Peering around the small hut, you had to admit that it was cute. Just big enough for you and Macy to sleep in. Putting your bag under your hammock, you stepped out onto the balcony. On nearly every tree there were similar houses. Each one connected with a bridge. Down below, you could see the fire pit and the people gathering around it. You could smell the meat cooking, which made your stomach growl.

"Hey, do you find it weird that they have all their houses in the trees?" You asked, glancing over at Macy.

"Well, most other creatures do it to keep away from predators on the ground, "She pointed out, "It's probably the same thing here."

"I doubt anything would even think about trying to reach these houses. They're at least 30 feet up. Besides, this is a big tribe, why attack to risk all the people going after it?" You questioned, noticing her shrug her shoulders.

"If an animal is hungry enough it will try." She reminded you, before playfully bumping your shoulder, "Come on. Let's go get something to eat. I'm starving." 

Grinning, you followed her to the ladder. Keeping a death grip on it as you went down. Jake meeting you at the bottom, with a knowing smirk.

"Not exactly the safest, is it?" He chuckled making you shake your head, "Torako said it's so they can pull them up at night to keep the monsters out."

"Monster?" You asked, shaking your head at the idea.

"Yeah. Torako and Muna told me the story of some mythical tribe on the other side of the island." He explained, before looking around and lowering his voice, "They're called Nakerans here. Their ancestors were believed to have hunted and killed a sacred snake. As punishment, they were transformed into part snakes and part humans."

"So, like Nagas?" You questioned accepting a plate of noodles and meat as you passed the firepit, "I know they are extremely rare. Only a few are in captivity and even fewer have been found in the wild."

"I suppose, but these can also turn humans into Nagas." He answered, "They say that's what happened to that teacher that was sent here."

"Naga's don't have that ability." Macy sighed, as you all sat on a log, "I studied one when they were first found. Nothing about that story makes sense. They're solitary creatures, so there can't be a tribe of them. They aren't poisonous or magic or anything, so there's no way for them to turn humans."

Falling silent, you picked at your food for a little before taking a bite. From the way the tribe is acting, they don't seem worried about these monsters. Some are dancing around the fire; others are chatting happily. Not far off the kids were playing some kind of game. Just past them, you could see a building that looked like it was falling apart. That must be the school building. The jungle was already claiming it. Vines wrapping around it, almost eerily. 

"Can you believe this place?" Ryan sighed, sitting down by you, they don't even have chopsticks to eat with."

"Then use your fingers." Jake grumbled, making you choke down a laugh.

"As if I'm going to pick up these worms with my fingers." Ryan snapped, instantly making your stomach turn.

You could hear Macy lose her dinner, but you tried to hold it down. Setting the wooden plate down, you pushed it away. Curling up and focusing on you breathing in an attempt to feel better. Now you wish you actually paid attention to exactly what the food looked like. Hearing Ryan laugh, you looked up at him.

"Got you all." He called, making you glare at him.

"That wasn't funny." Macy snapped, standing, "(Y/N), do you want to come with me?"

Nodding, you ignored Ryan's protests as you followed her to the food. This time taking a close look at the food as you were given another plate. It was, for sure, just noodles and meat. Though you don't exactly feel hungry anymore. Stepping away as you heard Macy talking to one of them, you looked for someone to give the food to.

Your eyes spotting someone within the shadows of the tree line. They were partly hidden behind a tree, but you could see them. Probably one of the hunters. Giving him a smile, you stopped before you had to go through the bushes. His eyes glaring at you in clear distrust. You know some of the natives don't like that you're here, but you want to be nice to everyone, at least.

"Hi there." You greeted, slightly worried when he hid behind the tree more, "Wait. Here."

Holding the plate out to him, you saw him look between your face and the food. Then he slowly reached out to take the plate. Now that he wasn't completely hidden, you could see that his ears were slightly more pointed than normal. His eyes were a mix between gold and copper. Almost hypnotically beautiful. Watching him eat, you chuckled when he turned away as if he was trying to keep you from taking the food from him again. The food was gone in a matter of seconds.

"Wow, you must have been hungry to eat it that fast." You laughed, as he turned back to you.

Now that he wasn't glaring at you, he seems much more friendly. He's warming up to you, with just food. You have to admit, you're the same way.

"You know, there's more food over there if you want it." You pointed out, watching his eyes widen at you before he handed back the plate.

Taking it from him, your mouth dropped open when his hand snatched your wrists. His fingers felt like claws on your skin as you tried to pull away. His grip on your wrist tightening the more you struggled.

"Hey, let go." You demanded, pulling harder again.

Looking at him, you gasped when you saw that his mouth was open as if he was going to speak. Instead of his words, you focused on the fangs in his mouth and the forked, snake like tongue. Somewhere behind you, there was a scream, before you felt someone pull you away while a stick hit his hand.

The villagers were instantly around you. Yelling in their language and waving spears at the man. You could see what was happening exactly, since the person with their arms wrapped around you was dragging you away.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N), snap out of it?" Blinking up at the person, you saw Jake looking at you in worry, "Are you okay?"

"I..I..I don't know." You stammered, finally realizing that you were shaking, "I don't...I can't....ugh. I can barely speak."

"Let's get you up to your hut to rest." He decided, "Gather your thoughts while you climb and tell us when we get up there."

Nodding, you went to the rope ladder and started climbing. That wasn't what you thought it was. There was no way that a Naga would come this close to the human tribe. Your eyes were playing tricks on you due to the jungle heat. The only reason there was a scream was probably because they were afraid, he was going to drag you into the jungle. All those traits he had could easily be birth defects. Though you couldn't see him from the waist down, there was no way he could have a snake tail. Everything is okay now, though. Sounds like the villagers don't like him so you probably won't ever see him again.

 Reaching the top, you stepped to the side to let the others on. Macy and Jake looking at you in concern, while Ryan looked as if he couldn't care less.

"Have you calmed down enough to talk?" Jake asked, making you nod.

"I think the village outcast just scared everyone." You explained, looking at him and Macy, "I'm okay now."

They both nodded, before you watched Macy go in. A blood curdling scream following after. Running in, you gasped when you saw the disaster the hut was in. Clothes and books were thrown around, the hammocks were torn down, and there were large claw marks along the wooden walls. Something had ransacked the place. If was able to get up here, then it can attack you and Macy whenever it wants. Feeling a hand on your shoulder, you looked up at Jack, who gave you a reassuring nod. Even Ryan seemed serious and concerned, for once.

"Alright, get everything picked up. You girls can sleep in our hut tonight." He ordered before leaving.

Looking between Jack and Macy, you all nodded at each other before gathering everything to move.