Chapter 19

Staying high in the tree, you kept your eyes to the sky. By you, Damian, was doing the same thing. The ocean and the beach in front of you almost looked nice enough to swim and relax. That would be a death sentence though. Out there in the open, with others hunting you, it would be like holding a sigh up saying, "We're here".  At least up in this tree, the Naga's won't catch your sent and the villagers won't think to look for you in a tree, let alone off their trails.

"As soon as we see that flair, we will have to sprint to it." You sighed, "The Naga's will be after us. Neeka will be after you to be her mate and they'll probably want to kill me for Jade."

He gave a nod, as he grabbed your hand with a comforting squeeze, "We'll make it."

He says that, but you're still scared. Those Naga's are faster than humans. You might get a head start, but what if they catch up? What if they just grow curious about the flair and decide to investigate it? There are so many things that can go wrong, that it makes your stomach twist with worry. Blinking when you felt him kiss your cheek, you looked at him in shock, but he only smiled at you.

"You have that troubled look on your face." He explained, "You look better shocked than worried. We will make it. If they come after us, then we'll fight back at all costs. It us or them."

"You sound like you would kill them." You scoffed, earning a shoulder shrug from him.

"To get off the blasted island and away from them, I would." He admitted, going quiet at the sounds of helicopter blades.

Turning your head, your ears picked up that the helicopter was down the beach towards the right. It's now or ever. Giving him a nod, you both climbed down and started to run. The sand was hot, and it was hard to run on it. You staggered a few times, before you got the hang of it. Damian was running like he had been running on sand his whole life. However, he stayed behind you.

Your head turned up when you heard a gunshot, then you saw the red ball of fire in the sky. It's not that far away. Now you just have to get there before the Nagas do. Hearing yelling behind you, you skittered to a stop to turn around. Damian was rolling in the sand with Muna. Muna was sending punches after punches to Damian. Pulling the machete from your side, you lunged towards them. Swinging it at Muna when he was pinning Damian down, you huffed in annoyance when he dodged it.

"Ready to become a killer, (Y/N)?" Muna hissed, glaring at you, "Don't think I don't know you warned Macy about me."

"Unlike me with Jade, she wouldn't hesitate to kill you." You snapped, "Though, maybe it's just you who's so killable."

"You tried to take my mate from me." He yelled lunging at you.

You quickly moved the machete before you and him, yet you grimaced when you felt his claws dig into your shoulders. The air in your lungs getting knocked out as your back hits the sand. Above you, Muna let out a strangled gasp of pain. He went still. You couldn't even tell if he was breathing or not.

"(Y/N), are you okay?" Damain asked, as he helped you roll Muna off you.

The machete was lodged in his stomach. Oddly enough, you don't feel bad about killing him. Maybe because he acted so arrogant when he was a Naga? Scrambling to your feet, you gave him a nod before you started running again. It didn't take long before the helicopter was in view. The excitement of leaving this island made you run faster.

"Damian!" Wincing at the female scream, you looked over your shoulder.

Neeka was at the edge of the forest. Jade was moving towards you faster than you've ever seen him move before.  The eye you cut had bandages wrapped around it as did his chest. You could see the pure fury and determination on his face. He fully intends to take you back and, probably, kill Damian.

"Don't look back." Damian ordered, running ahead of you the closer you got to the helicopter. 

You were close now. You could see Macy inside waving for you to hurry. Damian jumped in before holding a handout to pull you in. You were about to grab his hand but screamed as you felt Jade tackled you from behind. His hand on the back of your neck holding your head down as his tail started wrapping around your legs.

"You really think I would let you leave me?" He hissed, "You are just the beginning. We've got big plans. One way or another, I will make you mine."

You managed to look at him from the corner of your eyes. His mouth was opening with his fangs dripping the poison. You knew he was going to turn you again. Well, he would have, had a foot not connected with the side of his head. Knocking him off and it looked like he was passed out.

Kicking his tail off your legs, you scrambled to your feet as Damian grabbed your arms to help you. Jumping into the helicopter, you scooted back to give him room. Just out the door, you could see Neeka was close enough that she was ready to lungs. Just as she did, Damian slammed the door shut, stopping her. Her eyes were narrow slits as she bared her fangs at you from the other side of the window. She even banged her fists against it.

"Go! Go now." You yelled at the pilot, terrified that she would figure out how to open the door.

The helicopter shook as it took off. The view of the jungle, beach, and Neeka vanished to blue skies as you went higher. Panting for air, you looked between Macy and Damian. Damian was breathing heavily and wiping some sweat from his head. Macy was sitting in her seat, watching the two of you with wide eyes. 

You're free. You managed to escape. Looking back to Damian, the two of you exchanged grins before you laughed. Macy joined in laughing as well. Getting to a seat, you helped Damian sit by you.

"We did it." You giggled, wrapping your arms around his and leaning against him, "We won't have to see them again."

"Thankfully." He chuckled, "Back to civilization. I can't believe it."

"You two look like you've been through a lot." Macy hummed, making you realize that she's never even meet Damian.

You've gotten so used to him and comfortable around him, you nearly forgot that you didn't come to the island with him. You lost two co-workers, but you saved another person. Clearing your throat, you leaned back for them to see each other better.

"Macy, this is Damian. The missing teacher. Damian, this is my friend, Macy." You introduced, moving back a little more when they shook hands in front of you.

"Well, I see why she took so long." Macy smirked, "How about we grab dinner when we get back?"

Blinking at her, you couldn't believe your ears. Sure, you and he weren't dating, but she wasted no time making her move. That was even faster than Jade. You were going to tell her to stop bother him but went silent when he grabbed your chin to make you turn to him. Your eyes widening when he kissed you. It shocked you enough that you couldn't move for a while, until you decided to kiss him back.

"Thanks, but I've already got someone I'm going to dinner with." He explained before smirking at you and wrapping an arm around your shoulders.

"Alright then." Macy chuckled, before her face turned serious, "What do we tell our superiors? They're not going to like that Ryan and Jake died, or that we didn't get much research done."

"We tell them that no one is to go back to that island. That it's dangerous for us." You declared firmly, "We don't want anyone going through that."

"If they'll listen." She muttered, making you frown.

Your superiors are very stubborn when they want something. They were ready to give all their money into research exploration on that island. You can't tell them that you were nearly turned into a Naga though. They'll take you and Damian away to experiment on. To see if you have any of the poison left in your blood. Maybe with three people encouraging them not to explore, they'll listen.

Feeling Damian squish, you to him, you looked up at him. See him mouth that it would be okay, you relaxed and leaned against him to rest. All that running and fighting took it out of you. Closing your eyes, you remembered what Jade said about a bigger plan. He's on an island, so it can't be that bad. Especially, if no one goes back.