Chapter 13

Hearing the knock on the hut door, you froze. Jade went hunting earlier and you don't trust these Naga's to not attack you. Keeping your foot, a little way from the door, you hesitantly opened it.  Relief filled you when you saw that it was Damian. You even though you saw him give you a small smile, but it was gone before you could be sure.

"Good. Come on. Let's get some good food." He instructed as you slithered out of the hut.

Shutting the door, you tried not to growl as you snake half itched. It's been annoying you since you woke up. Scratching the itch, you looked up to follow Damian to see him watching you.

"I think I'm still getting used to the scales since they itch." You explained, earning a smirk from him as he shook his head.

"No, you need a bath." He chuckled, leading you into the jungle, "Trust me you'll feel better afterwards. I started itching too only it got so bad I lost a few scales."

Nodding, you stayed close to him as you looked around the jungle. He had a bow and some arrows with him. Apparently, he wants to go hunting too.

"Now, you and I have to eat some animals that aren't normally eaten. Leopards, sloths, even eagles." He explained, setting his bag by a river, "We don't have a choice though, since the only other meat a Naga eats is human."

Nodding, you swallowed the lump in your throat as you thought about it. You came here to study creatures like those. The thought of eating them is repulsive, but it's not as bad as the idea of eating human and turning into a Naga forever. Watching him check his arrows, you decided to ask the question that's been on your mind since the night before.

"Are you really the teacher that went missing?" You asked, making him stop with a sigh.

"I was." He muttered sounding sad, "I came here to help the islanders. I didn't think I would be betrayed by Muna though. I was organizing for the next class when he and Neeka attacked. I fought but obviously, it didn't work. They were dragging me away and the kids from the village watched in fear."

Recalling the fear, the villagers had when they saw you were turned, you understand. You saw your crew get eaten, kidnapped, and killed. You would never want anyone to see what you did, let alone kids. Putting a hand on his shoulder you gave his should a squeeze in sympathy.

"I know how you feel." You muttered, then explained everything that happened to you and your co-workers.

You even felt your throat close up as you tried not to cry. He was quiet the whole time, but he gave you his undivided attention. He even had a variety of facial expressions to show he was listening. When you finished, he grabbed your hand and squeezed it. Copying your method of comfort, which flattered you a little.

"You were really brave." He complimented, with a new determined look on his face, "I haven't heard any helicopters since you came to the Naga village though. That means we have some time to find a cure and we have a way off. We will make it."

Feeling confident in his words, you nodded as he straightened up, "Given the time from everything that's happened and the time in the Naga village, we'll have three days." 

"Then we'll work fast and quietly. For now, wash up and I'll get some food." He ordered, "I won't go far. If you need me scream my name."

Scanning him, you gulped with a nod. The confidence he had was very admirable. He looked like he could fight in his Naga form, but you've seen him fight Jade. He's not the best despite looking strong. Watching him slither off, you let out a breath before sliding into the surprisingly warm water. You were worried that it would be too cold. There's no telling what or who could be hiding in the jungle, so you opted to just keep your shirt on. The last thing you want is for Jade to come by when you're bathing without a shirt. Or worse, Damian coming back while you're bathing. That would really make things awkward between the two of you.