Chapter 4

Grabbing Jake's arm as he moved between you and the Naga, you looked around for Muna. He wasn't anywhere to be seen and he took his spear. The naga let out an aggressive hiss that made you look back at it. Then your eyes fell to your journal in front of it. There's no way you can get it back now. All of your work just gone because of this Naga. 

Watching him pick it up, you tensed. His snake like tongue flicking at it in clear interest. While he's distracted you might be able to come up with an escape plan with Jake. He must have had the same idea, because he leaned back to you slight.

"Should we try to escape now?" He whispered, as you studied the naga.

Now you saw that the naga's eyes would occasionally flicker to the two of you, before he would turn a page.

"No, he's watching us." You muttered, shaking your head, "Muna left us too."

When the Naga's head snapped up, both your and Jake tensed up, "You did these?"

It actually talks. You always though Naga's were more animalistic. That they couldn't talk. With this one clearly having been left in the jungle you're surprised at how well he speaks. Swallowing the lump in your throat you nodded. Figuring out an idea to help.

"I...I can draw you too. If you want." You offered, trying to ignore Jakes's look of absolute disbelief.

The Naga seemed to think it over before he nodded. Holding your journal out as if he expected you to take it from him. Giving Jake a worried confident nod, you slowly approached the Naga and took your journal back. The Naga curled his coils in a pile and laid on them. That must be the most comfortable position for him.

"Um, Mr. Naga, do you mind if my friend steps away while we do this?" You questioned, trying not to flinch when he sat up.

A glare on his face that was directed at Jake. It was enough to make Jake move closer to you. You find it sweet that he's acting so protectively of you, but you doubt there's anything he can do against a big Naga like this.

"Why? He can stay." The naga growled, making you shake your head.

"Well, animals tend to make him squeamish." You lied, hoping Jake would stay silent, "If you're out of sight of him though, that will save me from carrying him back to the village by myself."

Praying that Jake got the message to go to the village, you watched the Naga. His eyes narrowing at you before he relaxed again. His hand waving dismissively.

"Fine. Only so you don't cause her problems later on." The Naga huffed, as you attempted to give him a small grateful smile.

You're sure you seemed more terrified than anything, "So Jake, if you want to step that way where you feel more comfortable. This will probably take several hours to get the details, so feel free to excursive whenever you want."

Jake glanced at you in worry, before his eyes widened slight. He finally caught on.

"Okay then." He agreed, giving the Naga a cautious look before stepping through the jungle.

Once he was out of sight, you grabbed a pencil and started to draw the Naga. The long moment of silence was killing you. It didn't help that he was watching you more than you were looking at him. His yellow eyes seeming to want to freeze you on the spot forever.

"You are not as afraid as I thought you would be." He hummed suddenly, making you mess up the outline in surprise.

"I'm not?" you questioned, erasing and fixing the mistake.

"You should have screamed while running into the forest." He pointed out, making you shrug your shoulders.

"Well, I don't feel like being chased by a different predatory who won't give me a chance to draw them." You explained, offering him a smile that you hoped would make him think that you were okay with him, "I have to say, you speak my language very well. How is that possible?"

"I would hide in the jungle when that teacher was here. I learned with the other humans." He explained, shocking you. 

That teacher went missing several months ago. You wonder if he had anything to do with that. Well, from the way he approached, you wouldn't be surprised. Chances are that the teacher didn't know how to handle an aggressive naga and got killed. Shaking the thought of murder out of your mind, you tried to think of another way to make him forget about Jake.

"Then did you learn about introductions?" You questioned, for once earning a sharp toothed grin from him.

"Yes, my name is Jade." He greeted, as if he was showing off his communication skills.

In truth, for a naga, he probably was, "I'm (Y/N)." 

"(Y/N)." He repeated before saying it over several more times, "It's a beautiful name."

"Thank you." You thanked, grinning when you realized your plan was working.

If you can erase some of the drawing and redraw it. You might be able to take several hours longer. Hopefully long enough for Jake to come back with some of the hunters from the village to save you.