chapter ten

SEASON ONE, EPISODE THREE
"friend or woe"

( who's our favourite friendship so far? )

🪦. *.

ENID AND MALIA STOOD BESIDE EACH OTHER, BOTH EXCITED TO OPEN UP THEIR LETTERS to see what volunteer jobs they got.

"All students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10:00 am, sharp, followed by a community lunch at 1:00. As you know, this year outreach day culminates in a very special event, the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students," Ms Weems said, her hands clasped together.

Everyone let out an excited hum, Malia and Enid giggling to themselves.

"As representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face foward," Weems advised, an eyebrow raised.

Teachers began to hand out the blue envelopes and Enid and Malia immediately opened theirs.

"We got pilgrim world!" Enid squealed, jumping up and down in Malia's arms.

Malia rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, just retelling a story that isn't true. You know what, fuck the pilgrims!" She shouted, causing people to look at her. Enid placed a hand over her mouth.

Wednesday smirked.

Wednesday got Uriah's Heap. Malia laughed.

"Oh yeah, that was definitely handpicked for you," Malia nodded.

Enid smiled, "I'm cross my claws Ajax and I will be outreaching together,"

Malia rolled her eyes, "She has such a lady boner for him,"

Enid hit Malia's arm.

Ms Weems joined the conversation, so Enid and Malia left not wanting to interrupt. Malia sent Wednesday a smile, which she half recuperated.

After a short bus ride, Wednesday and Malia walked off it into the dreary town.

"I hate this place," Malia mumbled, swinging her arms.

Wednesday nodded, "I can see why,"

They walked beside each other, silent for a moment and then Wednesday said she had to run off to talk to Xavier, leaving Malia all by herself.

Malia didn't mind though, she liked her own company. And she liked how passionate Wednesday was about this. For someone who says they don't care, she sure does care a lot.

🪦. *.

"And what are you doing here, panda?" Malia questioned, playing with Wednesdays braid. Wednesday hit her hand softly and gave her, her famous deadpan look.

"I'm doing some investigating," She said, walking into the world.

Malia hummed, "Emo Nancy drew has a ring to it, don't you think?"

Wednesday rolled her eyes.

The old timey music and whimsical nature of the place made Malia want to puke.

A lady in full pilgrim gear stopped in front of the group, "Good morrow, my young Nevermore kin. I am Mistress Arlene. A real OC," She said, a smile on her pale face.

"Original colonist," She finished.

Malia's eyes widened, "So out of pocket it physically hurts," She whispered.

Wednesday smirked, "At least they're self aware,"

"Now prithee, put your cell phones on vibrate and make haste, for you are about to travel back in time to the year of our lord 1625, to Jericho's first pilgrim settlement," She memorised.

"Not my lord," Malia mumbled, following the 'real OC'.

"This is pathetic," Wednesday said, her face drawn and obviously uncomfortable. She almost looked sick.

"Yonder. Behold, the meeting house," The woman said, pointing the the house.

"Inside is a collection of artefacts—"

"That were probably stolen. Like the land we're on," Malia interrupted, smiling wide. The woman rolled her eyes and muttered something like, I don't get paid enough for this.

Wednesday and Malia moved beside Eugene.

"As I was saying, all artefacts belong to the founder, Joseph Crackstone," The woman continued.

"And beyond, is our privy, Americas first gender-neutral restroom," She said, pointing to the other building.

Wednesday stepped forward.

"I haveth a query," Wednesday announced.

The woman wasn't amused.

"In the meeting house, which of Joseph Crackstone's artefacts are on display?" Wednesday questioned.

Malia smiled to herself, proud of her girl.

The woman smiled, "It is a truly a treasure trove, including original farm tools, tableware, even the Crackstone's family chamber pot," She listed off.

"Sounds fascinating. We volunteer to work in there," Wednesday said, grabbing Malia's arm. Malia pouted.

"I did not," Malia whispered.

The woman gave an amused look at the two teens, "Pray, no. That exhibit is being renovated,"

Malia smiled, "Oh, Goody!"

Malia giggled, whispering into Wednesdays ear, "How ironic!"

🪦. *.