Orphan: First Kill (2022)

Orphan: First Kill is a 2022 psychological horror-thriller slasher film that serves as a prequel to the 2009 film Orphan

Orphan: First Kill is a 2022 psychological horror-thriller slasher film that serves as a prequel to the 2009 film Orphan. Directed by William Brent Bell, it was written by David Coggeshall, based on a story by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick and Alex Mace (who wrote the screenplay and story to the predecessor, respectively). Financed by eOne, Dark Castle Entertainment, Sierra/Affinity, and Eagle Vision, it stars Isabelle Fuhrman reprising her role from the previous film, with Julia Stiles, Rossif Sutherland, Hiro Kanagawa, and Matthew Finlan also starring.
- Wikipedia

******
I just watched Orphan: First Kill yesternight. It is a good horror movie. Though I personally think the original film Orphan (2009) is way more terrifying and disturbing than this one. The main reason is obvious: I/We already know who Esther/Leena truly is. Her secret is no longer a secret to us because most of us already watched the first film.

Most of the characters in this movie are so unlikeable, except the poor art therapist and Allen, the dad. These two don't deserve to die horribly.

The mother-and-son conspiracy reminds me about the mysterious murder of JonBenet Ramsey way back in 1996. I'm kinda obssess with that case, let me tell you. Silly as it may sound, I'm one of those that believe her then 9-year old brother Burke killed her, either intentionally or accidentally (after all, who cares! She still died, anyway). Then Patricia, being a loving mother, just covered it up so it would look like her daughter was kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and strangled to death (in their own freaking basement, of all places!) by some unknown perpetrator(s). She did the cover up to protect the welfare of their son (how sweet!) The case is still unsolved to this day, and seemingly will remain that way forever and ever until the end of times. Anyhow, I was so impressed by the twist of this movie. I did not see that coming. I found myself rooting for Esther/Leena rather than those mother and son imbeciles.

I just hope they make another prequel of this movie because I really feel that they didn't actually succeed in tackling the real reason as to why Esther/Leena became a homicidal psycho with a daddy issue. Based on this movie, she murdered another family prior of her being admitted to the insane asylum. They can make a movie about that. And way beyond that timeline to her childhood. I would be very interested to watch that. Isabelle Fuhrman played the Esther character so well. She's one of my favorite international actresses now.

The title Orphan: First Kill is quite misleading (or should I say, inaccurate), since this is not the first time that she kills. She already killed her first adoptive family. She was 31 that time. And who knows who else she might have killed before that timeline? For all we know, Leena might have killed her own family. I hope the third movie would be about her childhood and her true family. PLEASE!

As usual, Leena managed to escape because of a stupid and horny guard, who obviously was a pedophile.

Then I just find it funny that Leena can transform herself into thin air. She can also teleport wherever she wants (haha!) But since this movie is a horror movie, so I guess I could suspend my disbelief for a moment.

Almost all horror movie are just like that.

That's why I love horror movies.

THIS MOVIE IS 8/10 FOR ME.