Run (2020)

Run is a 2020 American psychological horror thriller film directed by Aneesh Chaganty and written by Chaganty and Sev Ohanian

Run is a 2020 American psychological horror thriller film directed by Aneesh Chaganty and written by Chaganty and Sev Ohanian. The film stars Kiera Allen as Chloe Sherman, a disabled homeschooled teenager who begins to suspect that her mother Diane (Sarah Paulson) is keeping a dark secret about her upbringing.
- Wikipedia

******
This movie is so intense, and full of twists. I didn't get bored watching it. I like the actors of both the mother, Diane, and daughter, Chloe. They did a fantastic job portraying their characters. And I just found out that Kiera Allen is really paralyzed from the waist down in real life, so her role in this movie is somewhat realistic. And she's so cute.

Somehow, I pity Diane. Clearly, she had suffered a lot after losing her daughter seventeen years ago when the baby was still two days and eleven minutes old. Truly that was heartbreaking. And the experience must have done something to her mental state. She became delusional. That was why she abducted baby Chloe (or whatever her real "given" name was) from the nursery ward and treated the baby as her own. In her own twisted way, Diane truly loved the baby until it was seventeen years old. But Diane's love for Chloe didn't stop her from inflicting long-lasting pain and illness to the girl. There it was finally revealed that Diane was secretly poisoning Chloe, making her take a specific capsule, which makes the latter feel weak as well as immobilizing her from the waist down. Perhaps, and I believe, Diane was doing that depraved act just so she and Chloe would be together forever (she didn't even want the girl to attend college). Diane just needed "to feel needed" by Chloe.

But, of course, I pity Chloe more. She had been fooled all her life by the woman she thought was her mother. I wouldn't blame the girl if in the future she developed a severe trust issue. She was betrayed.

I like the storyline of this movie. Yes, a little bit cliché, but still entertaining. One of the things I like about this movie is the "clarity" of their dialogues. I mean, the actors were saying their lines ever clearly, unlike other actors from other movies where you would beg for subtitles just to understand them.

The only thing in this movie I find very uncalled for was the murder of the mailman, Tom, who rescued Chloe on the road. I mean, can Diane just simply knock him down unconscious, and then go on with her life together with Chloe? I just find it not in Diane's character being a murderer. I mean, yes, she was a manipulative and cunning woman with dark secrets, but just because she was mentally unstable with a "maternal love" issue didn't automatically mean she was also a heartless murderer. But I guess desperate time calls for desperate measure? Maybe Diane feared Tom might call the cops on her? Because if that happened, she and Chloe would never be together again. Almost poetic, but selfish.

So in the end, when all was finally revealed to Chloe, it was apparent that she hated Diane for it. For making her a disabled person. That was why she always visited Diane in the infirmary of the correctional facility she was locked in, pretending to be a loving daughter, and making her take a bunch of capsules she smuggled inside by hiding them in her mouth. I think they were the same capsules that Diane gave Chloe back then, and now that same capsules were being given to her, making her weak and paralized from the waist down, too. Payback is a bitch. Speaking of "taking your own medicine."

Lastly, about the title of this movie. Am I supposed to laugh? Is the title an insensitive  joke? But, actually, I'm smiling right now. Oh, well...

THIS MOVIE IS 8/10 FOR ME.