Room for Rent (2019)

Room for Rent is a 2019 mystery-horror film written by Stuart Flack, directed by Tommy Stovall and starring Lin Shaye

Room for Rent is a 2019 mystery-horror film written by Stuart Flack, directed by Tommy Stovall and starring Lin Shaye. The movie was produced by Pasidg Productions Inc. and distributed by Uncork'd Entertainment. Room for Rent was released on February 23, 2019, at the Sedona International Film Festival in Sedona, Arizona. The film concerns an aging widow who rents a room in her house in order to make some money. Things take a deadly turn when she becomes strangely obsessed with one of her new tenants.
- Wikipedia

******
This is a brilliant movie with a disturbing storyline. And, holy cow! Whatta twist! I was shocked that a seemingly sweet old lady like her was capable of murdering people for some twisted reason. Joyce smothered her neighbor to death just because the latter was being a little bit "too nosy" for her likings or something. She then killed her male tenant for ridiculing her and for being an "ungrateful" person. Seriously, Joyce really needed some professional help. She clearly was mentally unstable. She was nice, but crazy.

Even though Joyce was a very calculative and manipulative person, I can't help but to pity her. Clearly, she had suffered so much in life. It was stated later in the film (thanks to her nosy neighbor) that her late husband had been abusive, and that he forced her to abort her pregnancy. That must be why Joyce started being delusional. This movie is a good example of an effective psychological thriller with almost no blood and jumpscares, but still going to make your skin crawl just by watching how Joyce went from being a seemingly friendly old landlady to a horrible and cunning witch. Getting old is a bitch, that is a fact, and I think Joyce was alreading suffering from existential crisis, looking for her new purpose in life, wondering if those years gone by were all for nothing. She was hungry for love and attention. And also hungry to give it.

All the actors/actresses in this movie performed their characters so well. Especially Lin Shaye. She is good at Insidious, too. I love that actress.

I did not get bored watching this movie. It kept me glued on the screen. The flow of the story truly catched my attention, and that's one of the reason this movie is one of those that I would love to watch again and again.

THIS MOVIE IS 8/10 FOR ME.