Goodnight Mommy (2022)

Goodnight Mommy is a 2022 American psychological horror film directed by Matt Sobel and written by Kyle Warren, serving as a remake of the 2014 Austrian film of the same name

Goodnight Mommy is a 2022 American psychological horror film directed by Matt Sobel and written by Kyle Warren, serving as a remake of the 2014 Austrian film of the same name. The film stars Naomi Watts, Cameron and Nicholas Crovetti, Crystal Lucas-Perry, Jeremy Bobb, and Peter Hermann. The film follows twin brothers who suspect their mother was switched with an impostor, following her recent surgery leaving her with bandages over her face.
- Wikipedia

******
I always hear/read that this remake of Goodnight Mommy is "unnecessary" or "bland" compared to the original (actually, as of writing this I am yet to watch the original one). BUT I find this remake engaging and the acting of Naomi Watts superb, as always.

Of course, not having watched the original movie first made me ignorant of the storyline so I was not actually aware of the twist of the story, and I was truly shocked by the revelation that the boy was being delusional the whole time. His twin brother was already dead and he was just imagining him all along. I don't know what exactly happened but it seemed that he accidently killed his twin brother. There was a splotch of blood on the wooden wall of the barn they used to play in. I think the boy shot his brother with a real gun thinking it was just a toy? Or maybe he playfully pushed him against the wall realizing too late that there was a rusty nail sticking from it? It didn't say so in the movie. Or maybe I just missed it? Nevertheless, his twin brother was dead, and the surviving twin brother was seemingly guilty about it to the point that he deluded himself into thinking that his brother was still alive and accompanying him wherever he went. So sad but at the same time, very creepy. He truly loved his twin brother.

I saw some clips of the original, and it was terrifying too, of course, BUT I find the horror in it so gruesome and somehow unconvincing. No boy could actually commit those horrible things to someone, even if he suspected her as a harmless impostor, unless he was a heartless psychopath or something. And the boy was not a psychopath, only delusional.

Of course, I understand the dislike from those that have watched the original. They already knew what was going to happen in the story. They were already spoiled. After all, why make a "remake" of something that is already established as one of the best psychological horror movies of the decade? They could have at least made it slightly different, but still be loosely based from the original. Like some kind of a reboot or something. Add another twists or memorable dialogues to go with it. But that was what they did, a remake. But I guess, at the end of the day, to each his/her own (like I always say). I like this remake, even though it received mostly negative reviews from critics. We cannot please everyone.

This remake is much more realistic, and way more satisfying, and at least gave the mother a "decent" death. She burnt to death without feeling anything because she was unconscious, or was probably already dead, which would be even better.

MORAL LESSONS OF THE STORY:
1) After undergoing a face surgery, act weird so your kids won't recognize you at all.
2) When stressed, dance naked in front of the mirror.
3) Break your kids' smartphone so they would know you care.
4) When trying to unlock your kids' room, use an axe instead of a spare key and growl at them for an added "animalistic" effect.

THIS MOVIE IS 8/10 FOR ME.