Chapter 32 | L traces

L had been plugged into his laptop all day, he was determined to find this intruder and solve this case. Now he had add information thanks to Matsuda and the police force, he'd taken to scouring the internet for anyone that potentially could be the culprit.

Matching the information up with social media profiles, forum posts, gps location data, anything he could get his circuits on. Not wanting to disturb him and his work, you popped out and up to Misas floor to have a chat. L knew where you went so he wasn't too bothered, he just continued to scan over the local internet.

Sitting across the table with Misa up in her apartment, you shared some tea and snacks. Catching up after a while of being busy with life.

"By the way (y/n), I've been meaning to ask... do you consider L your boyfriend?" She asked.

You thought for a moment, this had crossed your mind before. You loved him, he loved you. But of course he was a persacom, a chobit yes, but still a persacom.

"I'd say so, but I get if people didn't understand it. I mean, he is basically a super human robot" you replied.

"Honestly I think it's kinda cute that AI can fall in love with a human and vice verse. My only concern would be people buying a persacom and trying to force a relationship with them via programming. That why L's so special, he made the choice himself. He fell in love with you without any programming telling him to"

Humans and persacoms as powerful as chobits could absolutely co-exist in a relationship way. You and L were proof of that, although you all knew the rest of the world would have some catching up to do in understanding it.

"He is special, I can tell you that. He's been so determined to solve this case it's admirable. He really does have his own dreams and consciousness" you said.

"Makes me wonder how the world could change for the better. If persacoms can be as advanced as L so there basically human, it could help so many people. Those who can't have kids can make their own via persacom, people who suffer from conditions that need help in day to day life can have a 24/7 carer that understands them personally, people who suffer from loneliness can have a best friend..." Misa pondered.

She was right, the chobits were a remarkable creation. People who needed a companion, but for whatever reason couldn't find one could just make one with a persacom. If regular persacoms had helped the world progress and change already, then imagine what the chobits could do.

"I'm not sure if Watari would be willing to make the code for a chobit public after what happened with B, but maybe if it was tweaked to somehow prevent a violent outcome it could work. Although you could argue by restricting their code, they don't have fully free will... it's complicated. I think the world is still getting used to advanced persacoms" you said.

"You're right, it'll take time before we get to that point. But at least you're lucky enough to have L" Misa replied.

As if on cue, the door to Misas apartment opened and L frantically took his outside shoes off to swap with house slippers. Still holding his laptop and still plugged in.

"L could a match!" He smiled.

"You did? Let's see!" You replied.

L rushed over and put his laptop down on the table, quickly turning to Misa to bow hello as he'd been taught to do.

"After using the evidence from the police and scanning across the local networks, I found someone who looks like the composite sketch, the footage and matches what the DNA found" he explained, dragging up a school news letter from a few years ago.

The newsletter was for a highschool, and it showed a picture of a graduating student holding an honours certificate. Sure enough, he looked just like the culprit.

"Hang the fuck on... Light?" Misa muttered.

"You know him?" You asked.

"Oh I know him. Light Yagami, that bastard. My Ex..."

Now THAT was a twist you didn't see coming. Although it did make sense... he'd know his way around the apartment complex if he'd once dated Misa, who lived there.

"Light Yagami, currently 19 based on the date of the newsletter being a few years ago when he was 17. He matches the appearance, is a roughly 5.10" male with brown hair and eyes. Lives locally in the kanto region. And if he used to date Misa-chan then he'd know how to get in and out of the apartment complex. He has no active social media I can find but everything so far points for him" L explained.

Misa gave the screen an angry look, glaring at the picture of Light.

"He's definitely the type to commit a crime. Only cares about himself, the asshole. Even had me do some of his dirty work back in school, nothing illegal but he's a manipulative bitch" Misa rambled angrily.

"Wow, he seems like the best bet then. Well done L, now you gotta figure out what exactly he broke in for and get the police to question him" you complimented.

L smiled, giving you a hug as a thanks for the praise.

"L do good?" He asked.

"Very good, you're the best detective there is" you replied, giving him a gentle squeeze.

You didn't know the story of Misas past relationship, but from the sounds of her angry tone it didn't end well. It was her business though so you wouldn't pry.

"Wasn't that security camera footage from outside a peep room too? Gross. Of course he's the kind of guy to go into a peep room... although...maybe not to peep. He wasn't really into that" Misa scoffed.

"What would he be doing in there? Working there?" You asked.

"Maybe, shouldn't put it past him. He always has sketchy ways of making money and gaining power. Shame too, his family is actually really nice. No idea how he turned out such a dick"

Misa's connection to the suspect might actually be really helpful. L was paying close attention to everything she said to use as evidence in his investigation.

So if he wasn't there to peep, maybe he was there to help run the place. Maybe he was breaking in to steal someone's things based on a scuffle with a client, or even worse maybe he was there to kidnap someone to put into the room. There were a few possibilities, all illegal and some grosser than others. But L knew for sure that this Light Yagami guy had something to do with both the break in AND the sketchy peep room.