Chapter 30. An Offer

30

1495, Montefalco Italy

I tapped my fingers on my belly, my eyes watching as Maria and her girls cleaned up breakfast. Her assistants were so much alike that even after over a fortnight I still couldn't really tell them apart. Both mousy girls though one of them had more cat like eyes than the other. It didn't help that both of them always wore a white cotton hood over their hair. Even Valentino said he had a hard time knowing who was who, and he's met them before.
One of the girls took breakfast away while the other went with Maria to make my morning tea. It was her own creation she said. I drink one in the morning and one right before bed. The one in the morning is cold while the one at night is hot. I preferred the morning one due to the sweet ginger taste. At night it was Valerian but other than that I knew nothing about what she was feeding me. Valentino trusted her so I put my faith in her too.
I waited one whole minute before pulling myself out of bed. The pregnancy has made me slow but it hasn't stopped me yet. Maria wants me resting as much as possible, not really something I was too fond of. It didn't help that every morning they would dress me, fix my hair and I would just end up sitting around all day. No one ever got to see me in the fine silks Valentino has provided me.
"Where on earth are you going?" Gabrielle shot up from her seat. She was faster than me and was able to catch up quite quickly.
"Away from here." I moved past her. "Come on we only have a few minutes before they get back." I picked up my skirts so I wouldn't trip over them. "And I hope to be outside by the time she finds us gone." My movements were that of a shuffle. "Let's go!" She caught up next to me. The only thing I've done since Maria got here was sit and lay and sit and lay. Sometimes when I sat I did get to play a few games with Gabrielle and Micheletto. But as for going outside or doing any sort of physical activity was out of the question. I haven't seen a sunset but through my window.
Gabrielle helped me down the stairs but frankly I was moving to fast for her. The festivities were being set up for Catherine's party. This seems more like an event for a king. Pavilions and tents are being set up for visitors, games and stages placed out for entertainment. Even Micheletto seemed to be excited for the event. He's been telling me how he's been helping with planning and setting up the sporting events. I have no doubt he will surprise a lot of people if he participates.
I found him in a field, shooting arrows. The seating area was set up but not all of the archery was. Micheletto was sweaty in his white cotton shirt, his red hair was drenched. I spotted Valentino working as well, moving lumber. He took looked in the same condition as Micheletto. Several servants were out here doing different jobs. Of course I spotted Arielle, taking charge of many. They work fast as yesterday this was an empty field, not it looked as though a small town was being built.
"Maria finally let you out?" Micheletto stopped when he saw us coming. He hung up his bow quickly. Maybe he was testing the range. The hay targets still lay around and the stand were here for the bows but they were empty.
"No it was more of an escape." I told him as I came up by the bow stand.
"Glad to see you in the sun." He grabbed a stool for me to sit on. "Please." He gestured to the seat.
"No thank you." I huffed. "I've done enough sitting."
"Just say the word and I'll put her in her place."
"Not necessary." I chuckled a bit. "It's understandable what she does, even if it's not entirely enjoyable. Tell me, how is everything here going?"
"I planned the race course. They are setting it up now, it goes through the forest and part of the vineyards."
"Won't that be an advantage for you?" I asked. "It feels almost like cheating."
"Anyone may feel free to walk the course if they so desire." He shrugged.
"And what of here?" I nodded my head over to the archery. "Setting up or just having fun?" I walked over to the standing quiver. The  brown fletchings were soft against my finger tips.
"A bit of both. Just testing the distance now." He offered the seat to Gabrielle and she took it gleefully. She looked up at him as she sat with a large grin on her face.
"Could I try?" My gaze went back to the feathers on the arrows, I didn't want to see both of their judging glares.
"Pardon me?" I didn't need to see him to know what look he was giving me. "Archery?" Finally I looked at both of them. Gabrielle seemed more confused than anything. Micheletto didn't seem so surprised, he just wanted clarification. I nodded my head.
"Lena I don't think that's a good idea." Gabrielle spoke up.
"Why not?" I slid an arrow from the quiver and held it in my fingers. "How much could I possibly hurt myself?" They both just stared at me like I was a stupid child.
"Micheletto, lighten up." Valentino voice came up behind me. When I turned I saw a familiar sight. Valentino wearing a loose fitting blue shirt with his whole body covered in sweat. "A few arrows won't hurt."
"Thank you." I turn back to Micheletto with a grin.
"Don't." He pointed a finger up at me. "We made a deal." He reminded me quietly.
"This isn't combat." I whispered to him, and tugged at his arm. "Please." I begged. "It's more of recreation than anything else."
"Just a bit of fun." Valentino chimed in.
"Please?" I opened my eyes wide and frowned a bit.
"Fine." He huffed when he finally agreed.
"Thank you!" My hug caught him by surprise it seems. He didn't have time to brace for impact so he stumbled a bit.
I pranced over to the quiver ready for Micheletto to show me. Valentino had his arms crossed, chuckling to himself. "Ready" I eagerly stood waiting for Micheletto. He came to me, shaking his head.
"Right handed, I presume?" He reached for a bow in the rack.
"I prefer my left if I could." I corrected him. Everything in public was done with my right. When I was young the nun who taught me would force me to use my left. Still to this day it felt weird.
"Hold the bow in your right." He handed it to me. "Face that way." He turned me by my shoulders to face Valentino who was still smiling. A young page boy came up to him and handed him a goblet of what I presume to be wine.
"Fetch some drinks for my friends here. Two goblets of wine, and sage water for the lady." Valentino commanded without taking his eyes off me.
"Right away." My eyes followed the boy as he went off. Valentino watched me like a cat. I only glanced at him for a moment when I brought my attention back to the bow. But his eyes were fixed on me as he brought his goblet up to his lip. My cheeks went hot and I can't only hope Micheletto wouldn't notice.
Micheletto grabbed bow himself, then put himself in the way of Valentino's gaze. "Shoulders straight." I watched him. When I came out here he was shooting facing the opposite direction. So he was either proficient at both or just demonstrating for me. "Look straight ahead of you first, then turn your head to look at the target. Don't move your shoulders." He did exactly what he was teaching. "Pull up the bow. Don't pull the string until your arms are straight." My eyes followed him closely. "Pull the string back to your anchor." He did so, pulling the bow string back to his cheek. "One, two, three, release." The string made a twang when he released. It was so fast that the arrow was already in the target before my eyes left Micheletto. The arrow hit almost the dead center, just a bit off. Impressive. He turned around to me. "Don't lower your arm until the arrow hits the target. Got it?" I wasn't sure if he was asking about the whole thing or just the last instruction he gave. "Now you try." He handed me an arrow then took a slight step back, and Valentino shifted back into view like this was entertainment. "Nock the arrow, face forward." I listened, the arrow was awkward in my hand. I swear out of the corner of my eye I could see both Micheletto and Valentino smiling. This is my first attempt is what I had to keep reminding myself. "Straighten your stance." He moved my shoulders gently to turn me just a little. "Turn your head, just your head." I looked down at the hay target, it seemed much further now that I was the one shooting. "Now I mentioned an anchor. That is the spot you will pull the bow string back to every single time. It's about consistency. If you pull your string back to different places you will get different results." Make enough sense. "Hold the string like so." He showed me, his three fingers rested under the arrow. That was different than how he held it when he shot. He held nock between two fingers. "Raise the bow. Pull the string." I did so, pulling the string back to my face. "Pull it right to the corner of your mouth." The bow string was tight, my muscles shook.
"Do I aim?" I ask when pulled the string back, my eyes were on the hay target.
"No."
"No?"
"Yes. No. One, two, three, release!" I blinked.
The arrow went buzzing through the arrow though it did not hit the target. Releasing the string was an instant relief to my muscles.
Still there was only one arrow in the target. Just as the one Micheletto shot, it was so quick I didn't even see where it went. Was it really that fast? I stood dumbfounded, staring into the distance with the bow loose in my fingers. "What?" I said to myself, my head titled.
Micheletto and Valentino snickered next to me, it seemed to be getting louder. "Where did it go?" I spoke to no one in particular but Micheletto answered.
"You missed." He said before smiling towards Valentino. He seemed amused as Micheletto, a big grin on both their faces.
"Excuse me?" I dropped the bow to my side.
"The arrow went into the tree line my dear." Valentino spoke up, his eyes shot off into the direction he said my arrow went.
"Really?" I frown. "Give me another arrow." They both just snickered to each other. They laughed like they were watching a child. I grabbed an arrow from the quiver, nocking it once again. As I set up, ready to pull the string Micheletto approached me. He took one finger, set it on the end of my arrow and pushed down gently.
"There." He stepped back once again. "Release!" He commanded. I blinked again but this time is was followed by searing pain. A yelp escaped me. The the sharp pain radiated up my arm,
"Shit!" I screamed. The bow string snapped on my arm. At least my sleeves were long, I can't imagine how painful it would be if it hit my raw skin. Gabrielle came to my side, quick to examine my arm.
"Are you alright?" She asked breathlessly.
"Yes." I was rubbing my arm, trying to get the stinging to go away.
"You sure you're okay?" Valentino wasn't snickering anymore. I nodded to him.
"Let me show you." Micheletto stepped towards me again. "Set up the bow." I nocked an arrow and set up once again. Micheletto didn't say a word as he adjusted my wrist and my bow hand, making it so my forearm was slightly turned. "Okay." He stepped back. "Release."
I didn't blink this time and released. The pain from before was so great that I didn't even notice that the arrow hit the target. It was really far to the right but it was still there. The third arrow landed safely next to my second one. I smiled as I lowered the bow. Gabrielle did some small claps behind me. "Well done!" She squealed.
"We will get you in the bullseye at some point." Micheletto and Valentino snicker once again.
"Quiet!" I scolded both of them, it made them both just giggle more. "You snicker at me, but I didn't see you hit the center." I put the bow back down on the stand. They jest too far too much.
"Please." Micheletto grabbed his bow, set up a shot and he released. His shot was practically in the bullseye, maybe a centimeter off. He set up the shot so fast it was impressive that he was able to get a shot so accurate.
"Well what about you?" My attention goes to Valentino as he was still grinning. "Are you a good shot or do you just like to giggle?" I crossed my arms.
Valentino stuck his arm out for the bow and Micheletto handed it to him. Valentino shot left handed just like me and unlike Micheletto. He loaded an arrow and he wasn't as fast as Micheletto but still clearly very skilled. He pulled the bow string back and released. His arrow landed in the bullseye, just slightly off center. I huffed as I dropped back into the stool. "Well aren't you two just so perfect." My arms still crossed.
"Come on now Lena. It's your first time, no need to be sour." Valentino's encouraging words were just the opposite.
"I'm not." The servant boy came back with the drinks, he came to me first. "You boys have your fun." I put the drink up to my lips, the water was cool to the touch. It was the most refreshing thing I'd had in a while.
They both shrugged. "Let make things fun." Valentino spoke to Micheletto since I had stuck my nose up at both of them. "We each get 10 arrows. Loser has to muck out the stables."
"Deal." Micheletto agreed and they both shook on it.
Valentino went to go collect the already shot arrows, minus the one I shot into the woods. "You'll get better." Micheletto was sipping on his wine.
"With you teaching me I would hope so."
They both got maybe a few shots in before Maria and her girls came storming out. She was not at a full run just yet but had a nice canter going. I heard her before I saw her. Her voice cut through the air like hot steel.
"What on earth!" She shouted when she first came out. That's what made Gabrielle and I turn around. Her arm was up in there air waving at me. Gabrielle let out a soft giggle. Her two assistance were trying to keep pace behind her but to my surprise it seemed difficult for them. "My lady you should be in bed!" She finally came close enough that she didn't have to scream but she still was. "Let's get you out of this sun." She reached for me, to help me up from this stool but I didn't accept the help.
"But I wish to be out in the sun. Being alone in a dark room is depressing. Besides I've been sitting the whole time I swear." I pouted, my eyes looking to Micheletto and Valentino, not her.
"I'm sorry but it is for your health and the health of the baby." She clapped her hands but not to me. "Come now, up." Both her ladies grabbed my arms and helped me to my feet. Their help was appreciated as it would have been hard to get up from such a low seat. "You must rest anyway for the Lady Catherine's festivities. If you wish to be apart of them you must gather your strength." She handed me a glass of the tea I was supposed to drink some time ago. "Drink up as we walk."
"Let the girl stay." Micheletto stepped in as I knew he would. "She has been laying around enough. Let her enjoy the day." He came close next to me as I drink the sweet tea.
"You get a say when you have a uterus." Maria snapped. I choked on my tea, spitting out some into the grass.
"I beg your-"
"Micheletto it's quite alright." I cut him off before he killed her on the spot. "I was getting a bit weary anyway. Some rest would be good." I move past the girls to take Gabrielle's arm, Maria came rushing up to my side to assist me.
While I understood why she was this way it no less bothered me. Is sitting around doing nothing really what is best?
She sat me down in bed where I belonged. At least the bed wasn't uncomfortable. It was the softest thing I had felt in a while but after several hours of laying in the same spot it began to be stiffening. Maria wouldn't allow me to toss and turn either. But I needed to do something to smooth the movement of the baby. It seems just like me the baby didn't want to stay still. They moved so much that even Maria took note, it excited her. She said with that much activity the baby is healthy and growing. It concerned me a bit. I have heard of babies that get tangled within the womb and I pray it wouldn't happen to me.
Gabrielle sat on the bed with me, her legs crossed and her hands on some tarot cards. They were beautifully painted but I lost interest a bit ago. Gabrielle said we could play alquerque next which I agreed to. "Maria will you play the winner?" I asked as she sat across the room with her embroidery.
"Perhaps." She was the one who introduced us to the game of course that meant she was far better than us. Whoever won between me and Gabrielle would surely lose to Maria. Even her ladies beat us without so much of a second thought.