Chapter 2. The Beginning

2

1492 Rome, Italy.

A great shake wakes me up from my sleep in the middle of the night. I crack my eyes open to see my father although it looks very fuzzy but I can see his red robes so I knew it was him.

"Lena wake up!" he yells while he keeps shaking me. I wanted to yell at him to stop but my brain was still fuzzy from waking up.

"Papa what is it?" He rips me from my bed though I'm still not moving on my own. I stood trying to get my bearings as my fuzzy vision follows my father. He moved around my room so quickly it was hard to keep up. He grab clothes mostly, my clothes. We were clearly going somewhere and it was obviously urgent.
"We have no time to talk my love, let's go." he puts a black cloak over me and he looks into my eyes with a scared and worried look that I have never seen before. I knew something was very wrong with him and I guess now me. He grabs my wrist tight and pulls me out of my room and out side where a carriage already waits for us. "Get in!" he shouts. I've never seen him this scared, I can even see sweat on his forehead. I get in and he follows right behind me. I had never seen him this way, ever. My father was always calm and it was admirable. This was not him.
In the carriage he is breathing heavily but other than that it is quiet, until I speak. "Papa please, tell me what is wrong with you. Where are we going?"

"It is just you my love. I am leaving you with people I can trust. You need to be safe." he wipes the sweat from his head. The man I looked at was not the man I knew. He was as red as his Cardinal hat and he sweat so much his forehead was shinning. He kept looking out the window of the carriage over and over again. He was making sure we aren't being followed but by who and why?
"Be safe from what!" I beg. But he doesn't answer. The short ride was silent except for my fathers panting and the sound of the horses.
We finally stop and my father tells me to get out and I listen. We get out and the Vatican, guards stand outside waiting for me. My father gets out and hugs me tight as if he will never see me again and I hug back. I don't know what is to come but a tear leaves my eye and down my cheek. It hits me that whatever this is happening is serious. I haven't been separated from my father other than him traveling from time to time. But even that many times he would bring me with him. He was my whole world and he was leaving me in this way?
He held my face. "Do not cry Lena." he tells me but I can not help my cry more. I hate when people tell me not to cry because it only makes it worse. "I am leaving you with good people okay. You will be safe here." he wipes my tears from my face and brushes my blonde hair from my eye.
"I want to go with you papa." I beg "Please!" I can tell that my begging is making it worse for him. But my father is my whole life, I've seen him every day and told him everything. I didn't care where he was going but I wanted to go with him.
"You must go with the guards my Lena, we will see each other again, very soon. " I looked over my shoulder at the guards who now flanked me, they were papal guards.
"But when?" he just looked at me. Something told me he wasn't coming back soon. He was lying. He looks right into my eyes and smiles. "you look so much like your mother." Tears are now pouring from my eyes and his as well. "I love you Lena. Stay safe." he gives me the wonderful kiss on the forehead and gets back in the carriage. I watch it ride away with him inside, not knowing if I will see him again. I break down on the ground and weep. My hands cover my face, and I sat there for what felt like hours but I was really just moments. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"We must go my lady." One of the guards said. I nod. He takes me up the steps and into the Vatican. "Good bye papa." I say to myself.

---------------------------------------------------

Comment and vote. I want to hear from you :)