Chapter 6. The Bride

6

1492 Rome, Italy

Lucrezia's wedding wasn't that far away. She was to be married to one Giovanni Sforza of Pesaro. The man is 26 and Lucrezia is 14, to be honest it is still hard for me to believe. I honsestly thought that the Pope wouldn't marry Lucrezia to such a man. She hasn't even spoken a word to him let alone seen him. I have seen a portrait of Sforza and he looks cold, he doesn't even smile in the portrait. But that could mean nothing. My father had a portrait done once and it turned out so bad he had it redone. So that could be what's happening here, just a bad painting.

"Must you go so soon Cesare?" Cesare was getting ready to go to a meeting with the college of Cardinals. We have become close over the last few weeks like the way we were when we were kids.
He stood on a step lower than me but still managed to be taller than me. His arms wrapped around me pulling my waist into him. The gold cross that dangled on his chest became something my hands would fiddle with. My fingers traced over the pearls and rubies memorizing their order.
"I must go." he kisses me on the forehead letting it linger for a moment. I craved forehead kisses from him. "But I will be back my little lotus." he started calling me that not to long ago. Feeling his grip loosen on me made my heart sink just a bit.
He leaves down the steps and he turned around to wave back at me. Only when he was out of site did I walk back into the Vatican apartments.
As much as I wanted Cesare to stay and kiss my forehead Lucrezia had a gown fitting today that she invited me to. She was less than excited to be married but maybe this would cheer her up. I know getting new gowns always made me feel better. What she must be thinking. While many women get married young it still was a lot to process, especially if you didn't know your betrothed. She would be spending the rest of her life with someone she's never met must be daunting to say the least.
Footsteps approached from behind me and I dare not look to see who it was but I had my suspicions by the way they sounded. Juan. He was not quiet, he never was. His footsteps were loud and were always accompanied by the sound of jingling metal.
"Ah Lena." He walks up next to me. "Where are you going?" He was so close that his shoulder brushed up against me. It made my skin crawl.
"It is none of your concern." I didn't even turn my head to look at him.
"Oh come on." He steps in front of me, blocking my path. "You fool around with my brother Cesare in his bed then why can't you spend a night with me? I am much better than my brother." I push passed Juan. He was always a swine and he still is.
"I don't sleep with pigs." I keep walking and I look over my shoulder Juan is still standing there. If I was standing closer to him god knows what I might catch from him. He spends all his time in brothels he must has some disease. It is not surprising that he turned out to be so gross. He assumed I was having sex with Cesare even if I wasn't and he was so jealous he decides to harass me in the halls.

I walk into the room where Lucrezia is being fitted. Her dress is almost complete, it is gold satin with rose trim, and she looks more beautiful than I could ever imagine. There was still more work to do but from what I could tell it was going to gorgeous.
"Oh my" I paused to look at her gown more "You look beautiful Lucrezia." I marvel at her as she stands on the pedestal. The rose trim of her gown brought out the pink in her cheeks.
"Really?" she looks down at her dress, touching the satin with her fingertips.
"You are glowing more than normal." I take her hand and stand in front of her. "Turn for me?" She spins around and every part of this dress is more beautiful than the last. "You will be the most beautiful bride in the history of the Vatican." I swear the gown would glisten and sparkle when it hit the light. It was accessorized with pearls, one of my favorites.
"Until you get married." She said. But a wedding for me seemed to be a dream especially since my father was gone. There was no one to arrange a marriage for me and the man I adored could not marry.
"No Lucrezia your beauty surpasses mine." She blushes at my complement. She had an innocents about her that I never did. Her hair, blonde like mine, seemed to look different on her. The loose curls would bounce as she walked and seemed to have gold spun into it. Her features so simple but so elegant. Part of me was jealous of her. Never was I as adored as her but it was understandable. She had a charm that I could not deny.

The final touches are being added to her dress and it gets more and more beautiful by the second. She grew tired of standing after awhile but it had to be done. She groaned when they told her it will not be finish today. Lucrezia will be a beautiful bride. She could wear rags and still be beautiful.
"My Lady Lena." a servant call for me at the door. I get up and walk over to greet him. "A letter came from sir Leonardo Da Vinci." I take the letter from him an open it quickly.

"Lena,

I have gotten word that you wanted to see me. I am working in Milan and can not leave just yet, come see me as soon as possible.

L"

After Lucrezia is married I will be off to see Leonardo and straighten all of this out. Looking over my shoulder it seemed as though Lucrezia didn't care for the letter I had just gotten. Good. She was too busy staring at the ladies helping her with her gown. I shouldn't have opened it in front of her in risk of peaking her interest but that seemed to not be an issue. I rolled up the letter and stuck it in my pocket quickly as I didn't want her to ask even after the fact.

"Lucrezia You look wonderful." My head jerked to the person talking. "Like an angel in a painting." A woman walks in the door. I have seen her throughout the Vatican but I have never actually talk to her. She was quiet and walked through the Vatican like a phantom. She is about my age and she is beautiful. Long beautiful strawberry blond curls, rosy cheeks, green eyes and full lips. She was an angel sent from the gods above. It seemed every woman in the Vatican was a treasure, she was no different. But it was never clear to me who she was. She had a maturity about her, she was well beyond her years and I knew that just by looking at her. She held herself high as she walked, she acted as if she owned the place.

"I am Giulia Farnese." She says directly to me. She was the Popes mistress, I knew by her name. She was related to a Cardinal I believe, but my knowledge of who is who in the Vatican is lacking "You must be Lena, the pope has told me so much of you and your father." I give her a smile and examine her more. Her frame is small but that doesn't change her overwhelming presence. Never have I been near a queen but this is what I would assume it would be like.
"I would love to stay and chat but I must leave for something very important." I had to get things prepard to go see Leonardo.

----------------------------------------------------

Comment and vote. I want to hear from you :)