Chapter 25. Crude Tongue

25

1494, Montefalco Italy

My belly, the small bump that it was now made me anxious. Still we had not found a home for the child, I was beginning to think we should leave it at a convent. That seemed appropriate to me. They would care for the child and raise it to be a true follower of the faith. Better there than with a mother who didn't know how to care for it. I never had a mother, I wouldn't know how to even be one. The closest thing I had to a mother was the servants that would take care of me though they never stayed long. Father would change them out more than he changed his clothes. Not sure why he did this but the only constant in my life was my father.
The day was warm but not so much that one couldn't sit outside and enjoy the sunlight. Micheletto worked outside while Gabrielle and I sat outside on a stone wall to watch. He would not let me work anymore for my belly had grown and he tried to get Gabrielle to work but she would mess up too much. Her talents were in serving me in some way. The crops grew and we had a small income selling them but not enough, at least not enough for me. I was not used to this. Even when I was with my father I was treated with the same respect as a duchess. Now for dinner we ate brown soup and hard bread.
Micheletto did so much for me to keep me safe and fed. He is without a doubt a killer, he has blood on his hands but the lonely assassin seems to have a soft side. Why else care for me in such a away?
"Micheletto?" I spoke up my voice dry from the lack of drink. I spotted the black cat moving through the dirt, winding between Micheletto's legs. He didn't seem to mind, not even bothering to push him away.
"Hmm?" He grunted without looking up from his work.
"Could you teach me?"
He stopped what he was doing and threw some weeds to the side in a pile of rubbish.
"Teach you...." he paused. "What exactly?" he began to smack his hands together in order to knock off the dirt and grime.
"What you do." I looked at him, my head tilted in curiosity. His forehead gleamed with sweat from the hot sun but what was noticeable was the confused look on his face. "We all know what you do, what you are to Cesare."
He walked close to me so close I could feel his quickened breath on my pink cheeks.
"I am his friend and nothing else." His head dipped low, his eyebrows raised as he looked deep into my eyes. I knew what he was saying, that I should not repeat what he is, what he can do. But I was desperate to learn. Maybe it was being locked away in this old run down home or the numerous times my life has been on the line but something had to be done in my life to help me.
"Please." My voice sounded as desperate as I felt. "I want to learn to protect myself, to stand on my own." My lips lowered, hearing yes come from his mouth would make me feel relieved but those words never came.
"No more talk of this, do you understand?"
"Yes." I lied.
Surely I could do something with my time other than sit around, read books and bake away in the sun. To learn the art of deception would give me the ability to learn to protect myself. I can not hold a sword or run an army like a man can but I can learn to deceive which is a great power. But I did not crave power I craved protection. There won't always be someone to protect me, so yes learning to do it myself would be ideal.

Walking through the market is somehow calming even though there are so many people here. It was a crowd of organized chaos. Everyone had their place to be even if that meant stomping through the market like a cow or yelling at the top of their lungs to sell their wares.
There were a few people here and there who are more well off and I can't help but look at them. I miss the fine gowns, the jewels and the food. Oh the food was amazing. Now I eat soup made with tasteless carrots from our sad plot of dirt.
One woman I saw wore a teal silk dress with pearls and her red hair was in the most intricate braids.
A loud sigh escaped from my mouth.
"Lena, come on!" Gabrielle tugged on my sleeve. My head snapped to her, she carried several baskets while I only carried one.
"I'm coming." I shifted the basket to make it more comfortable in my arms.
We sat at our trading stall, more like I sat and Gabrielle stood. Small my stomach may be but it was still enough to tire me from just the walk alone. We don't sell much anyway so there is not point to me being on my feet all the time. We don't have much to sell in the first place, not compared to the men who own larger farms and have better crop. We are minuscule compared to them.
Micheletto decided not to join us today, he said he had other things to do. Of course in true Micheletto fashion he did not tell us what he was doing, but it was important enough to not come with us today.
I sat in the stool and read. Though my eyes kept darting from my book to the people. I did not want to be like them anymore though it hadn't been too long. I thought of the lady in teal and how gorgeous her gown was. I compared it to what I wore now. A dull brown and beige cotton dress with a white apron.
It didn't take long before I saw none other than Valentino. He walked with two others, the one he referred to as Antony and a woman. She was young, pretty. Her brown hair was loose, her gold gown complimented her olive skin greatly. Mostly I noticed her jewelry. Rubies I believe. They were the most beautiful, gleaming right into my eyes.
My eyes darted back to Valentino, his eyes caught mine. He smiled at me and changed his course to my stall. The girl was next to him, on his arm and Antony followed on their heel.
"I'd wonder when I would see you again." He spoke first. He broke from his grip of the woman and tightened his furs around himself.
"It is a small town my lord." I stood so I wouldn't have to look up at the 3.
"Please call me Val." He responded very quickly, his mouth stuck in a smile.
"What may I call the lady?" My voice curious.
"Catherine." She responded herself. From the corner of my eye I could see Gabrielle give me a look. She knows Micheletto would not like me engaging with Valentino.
"Let's not forget me." Antony spoke up, his voice just as brash and annoying as before.
"No one could forget you." Catherine laughed "Excuse my brother" she rolled her eyes. My eyebrows raised at the comment, siblings. But how could anyone so pretty be related to someone so rude?
"Yes I could not forget the man who referred to me as a 'loose woman' when first meeting me." I commented. "It was nice to see you again my lord." Turning from them I sat back in the stool and grabbed my book once more it was all I could do to prevent Gabrielle from exploding.
They walked away as their footsteps indicated but a pair came walking back. My eyes rolled up to see Valentino by himself standing just on the other side of the small wooden table.
"Would my lady be interested in dinner tomorrow?" My lady repeated in my head. I hadn't been anyone's lady in a while now. My status was lost and I wanted nothing more than to have it back. Even alone in my fathers house my life was simple but it was more than this. There was still money and clothes, my father treated me like a princess. Now I am far less than that. "With Micheletto's permission of course."
"I will ask." I responded and I could see his smile grow wider and a slight flush grow over his cheeks. "Wait, I have nothing to wear. Nothing nice I mean."
"Catherine will have something for you I'm sure."
"Thank you my lord."
"Val." He corrected me.
"Val." I answered and his cheeks grew even more pink.
"At dusk." He said before walking off.
Instead of watching him my eyes went to the lady Catherine. She was my height but her hips were wider. Anything she may lend me might be too big but still it would be nice to back in something that wasn't permanently stained.