Chapter 24. The Villa On the Hill

24

1494, Montefalco Italy

It had been two weeks and I can already tell you that the only thing that has gotten any easier is the walk from the well to get more water. It became my favorite. If I didn't really feel like working that day I would take my time with getting more water. It's takes Micheletto 30 minutes to get more water. Me on the other hand it takes about 45 minutes to an hour. The well for some reason is down the road and on the edge of the wood so it's a really hot day I can relax under a tree. I must be carful about that because the other day I fell asleep and Micheletto scolded me for quite some time. Unlike them I am not used to working like this, I need breaks.
Micheletto will not allow me to go see Valentino. He's says Cesare would not approve. He controls me even when he is not around. I know Valentino is very fond of me and part of me was hopping that he would get me out of this hole I put myself in.
I sat down next to the well and looked down at my fingernails. They have dirt under them that I feel is permanently there. The skin around my nails is rough and peeling away. My hands were hardened and down right ugly, I will never get them back to what they once were. Two weeks and my body had changed.
I looked up and I could see Valentino's villa from here. Atop the large hill it looked like heaven. He had more money than I even thought, his land taking up the entire hill side. I have not seen him since that day in the market place. Cesare hates him, he would never tell me it himself but I know. But I hate Cesare's jealously, it was bad even when we were children. Most people would say it was a sign of affection but I just find it annoying.
"Lena!" I heard Micheletto calling for me in the distance.
"I'm here!" I shouted for him while pushing myself into my feet. I met him half way so he wouldn't suspect that I was relaxing. "Come to check that I wasn't taking a nap?"
"No, you were gone for a while. You may think I am an annoyance but I do care for your safety." He took the pale of water that I had to fetch for our plants. The plants that were barely sprouting from the ground. "We may not be at the Vatican anymore but I still was charged to protect you and if Cesare finds out that I helped you leave and I didn't protect you well he would have my head."
"How kind of you." He didn't laugh at my comment but he gave a half smile as if he appreciated my comment. "Could I write to him?" I took his arm as we started our walk home.
"Whom? Cesare?" He asked and I nodded. "It would make it easy for him to find you."
"Yes but you are good at those kind of things."
"Excuse me?" He shot me a look.
"We all know that you are not just Cesare's bodyguard or his good friend. You are a person who can get things done in the shadows without anyone knowing. I'm sure getting a letter to someone should be an easy task for you." He nodded as if I was right. "I just want to let him know I'm okay." Micheletto just stared at me. "Please, just one letter."
"Just one. And that's it." He made that very clear. "Have it written by tonight."
"Thank you."

I had no idea what to write. I could not put it into words. What was I to say to the man who was the father of my child? The man who I had left without and explanation. I'm a despicable human being but I still had nothing to say. The only thing I had on the page was the word sorry. I obviously had to say more, but what. I didn't want to tell him why I left because that would only make him search for me more. I struggled to write anything on the page. Anything I thought of deemed too much. Eventually I had to just write something because Micheletto would want it soon.

" Have you written anything yet?" Micheletto came over my shoulder and scared me half to death. He was so quiet but I assume by now it is a habit again.

"No." I starred blankly down at the lack of word on the letter. "Nothing seems to be coming to me." 

"Just put you are sorry and you will be home soon."

"But that is not enough." He just starred at me like I was a stupid child.

"Okay well then just put-"