Chapter 7. The Wedding

7

1492 Rome, Italy

Lucrezia's wedding was tomorrow and she has locked herself in her room. But the Lord Sforza goes out every night with Juan and they drink. They come home drunk just about every night. One night they came back sing a song the woke the whole Vatican. I was ready to yell at them to hush but they were drunk and I never want to get involved with a drunk man. This night was no different either, they came home singing, dancing and with wine bottles in their hand. Cesare and I were walking through the Vatican when they came back in. Just as before we tried to avoid Juan. Upon hearing his voice echo through the hall I latched onto Cesare's arm wanting him to take me away from here. He knew without even me having to say a word that I would rather run and hide than to talk to Juan. Everything that comes out of his mouth is more disgusting than the last. Still somehow he was able to catch up to us. We thought we had lost him, it seems we are not as good at avoiding him as we used to be.
"Off to bed are we?" Juan caught up to us, standing by my side he sandwiched me in between Cesare. I watched as he brought a glass of wine up to his lip. He hadn't been home for long but was already able to get his hands on a glass. The lord Sforza stumbled behind us. He wobbled into the grass courtyard and passed out there. I had only seen him like this, drunk. No wonder he had gotten on so well with Juan.
We don't answer Juan in the hopes he will just go away. "Would you lift your skirt for me Lena?" It clearly did not work. Cesare pushes him back with his arm, it didn't take a genius to figure out that I am uncomfortable.
"You are drunk brother, go back to your room." Cesare puts himself in between Juan and I, letting me walk ahead of them.
"Cesare you should share your whore." Juan shouts so the entire Vatican could hear. Cesare turns back to him and violently grabs his collar.  Juan was laughing, actually laughing and that made my stomach turn.
"Leave brother, now. Before you do something you might regret." he pushed Juan back and he chuckles. It is a kind of evil chuckle that I don't much care for. Juan goes over and peels the Lord Sfroza from the ground. I don't even want to think of what they get up to outside of this place. They are both pigs.

We walk to Lucrezia's room but the door is locked. "Who is it?" Lucrezia calls from the other side of the door.
"It's Lena and Cesare." I yell. "Please just open the door, I want to talk to you." a few seconds of silence go past but then I finally hear her unlock the door. I slowly open the door and walk in. "Cesare I think it would be best if you stay out here." He does not fight this, just simply nods and closes the door behind me. Lucrezia is laying on her bed and staring at the ceiling. As I sit down next to her she curls up next to me and puts her head on my lap. Without saying anything I run my hands through her golden hair.
"What is it Lucrezia?" I asked but I already knew the answer she is scared of what comes next. Anyone would be.
"It is the wedding. I have not even met the Lord Sforza nor have I even seen him so how am I going to love him." I sigh. She doesn't fully understand the marriage and what it is for.
"Lucrezia I am afraid you don't have to love your future husband you just simply have to marry him."
"So what if I don't love him, then I still must marry him?"
"I'm afraid so my love. Marriage and love are two very difficult subjects. But trust me your father will make sure you are happy and well cared for." I kiss her forehead. I am as worried as much as she is, maybe even more because I know how these marriages work out.

To her wedding I wear a teal silk dress with white satin trim. I again look at the box my father had sent me and the items inside. What do they mean? What are they for? Will Leonardo know? Or is he just another clue to what my father wants me to see?
"Are you ready Lena?" Cesare comes through the door. I stand up and join him at the door. "Are you okay?" he asks.
"I am just fine, our Lucrezia is getting married today, of course I am fine." We walk out of the Vatican apartments and down to Saint Peters. All kinds of people were entering Saint Peters from Cardinals to the prince of Naples. I sit next to Cesare and Juan sit on my other side, I hate him next to me. I sit closer to Cesare side because I want to be as far away from Juan as possible. "Who is that Cesare?"
"Who?"
"That woman over there is yellow and black." She was looking over at me for some time now and I don't much like it. It was an evil stare as if I was a bug that needed to be exterminated.
"That is Caterina Sforza."
"The Mistress of Forli?" I tried very hard to evert my eyes from her but I could feel her staring over in this direction. It was unclear whether she was looking at me or not but it felt as though she was. Her gaze was something else. It was something fierce, her eyes were dark pools that were easy to get lost in. Not in a good way.
"You know much of her?" Cesare whispered in my ear. I figured he was whispering because he didn't want Juan to hear. But he was so close that it would be difficult. He has said nothing to us yet, just for the most part ignored us. A blessing really.
"No but I would like to know more of her." Taking her seat she finally stopping looking at me.
"Why is that my love?"
"Because I have heard stories of her and how she fights with the same bloodlust as any man. She is a woman that I admire much. But only for her fierce independence" Not for her lack of social skills.